Cold Water Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7 of 13. If I need more than a 5 mil, then it's to cold.

Reactions: Jax
I got 12 right and the one i got wrong was questionable... They say the body thermoregulates by controlling evaporation???? Maybe by controlling sweating, but the body can NOT regulate evaporation because it is a function of ambient relative humidity, temperature and wind speed.. DAN don't always know..

I thought it said due to convection - the swirling of the water around the body.

Jax, there used to be a time when they also recommended sharing a sleeping bag butt naked with the victim, but I can see that it is no longer part of the checklist. I think it is mainly due to too many circumstances where people had to explain to the victim as to why they felt they should not do it...same sex, not same sex, hairy chest, not enough room in sleeping bag, etc

Actually, they still due, in the services and such. If your buddy falls in icy water, you do the sleeping bag thing. It's the only way to get the person in a warm, but not overheated, environment. Also, they teach it in the Ski Patrol, but we had snazzy foil blankets to reflect heat in.

12 of 13 .... I didn't know afterdrop thought it was compensatory decay

My number one safety rule about diving in cold water is: "Stay out of cold water."

Reactions: Jax
i got 7 out of 13 which surprises me due to the fact i mostly dive cold water (32-60 degrees) But i think i mixed up a lot of terms!

To date, the best proven cold water death is the drummer from the beach boys, he dove in the marina where his yacht was moored and looked for all the things he threw over, drinking and diving in shallow water for like 9 hours, I believe in cali, so at least submerged for 5 to 6 hours, never surfaced from last dive, they figured it out when he did not show up for happy hour, and seen all the stuff on the dock. I would believe he was wanting to find something of value he knew was down there as he was broke at this point staying with a buddy on his yacht.

8/13 but will also admit that some of my correct answers were guesses :)

Also agree with other posters that claim to know the concept, but not know the "official" term.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom