Cold Water Wetsuit - A Little Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too cold to dive?? Take that boy to a doctor and quick. I think he is permanetly narced. :D

MSilvia:
MORE weight? When I switched from diving a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit to diving dry, I took about 20 lbs off my belt. You must keep a lot of air in your suit.

Must be nice, I'm in a trilam shell and by the time I get enough insulation on to keep me tolerably cold instead of freezing I can't get all the air to compress out of the suit at the start of the dive so I have to carry 37 pounds (and could use 2 or 3 more with my AL 80). I carry 14 pounds in a 1/4 inch wetsuit, I only weigh 120 pounds. When I wear less insulation (just my 400g thinsulate jumper) in the drysuit in warmer water I can get away with 27 pounds.
Ber :bunny:

If you are still interested in diving at those temps but prefer to use a wetsuit...I would recommend having a custom one built that would protect you adequately. I am a marine biologists and have used a 9mm custom suit for repetative dives in Alaskan waters (remember the thicker you go the less mobility you have). The two manufacturers I recommend are JMJ in Los Angeles and Diving Systems International in Santa Barbara. Both of these companies have supplied numerous dive suits to both SDSU and UCSD/SIO. Both companies have websites that you can google to locate. Good Luck!

I would really think about going dry. That's a lot of neoprene and would be a ***** to get on. I think 7mm is constricting enough, I can't imagine it being comfortable getting around with a 9mm suit.

I dive in water as cold as 38o F, and use a SP 7mm full suit, 5mm hood, 5mm boots, and semi dry 5mm gloves. I'm completely warm, SAC is as good as the dry divers I go with as well. Some people just tollerate cold better than others. The devil in wet diving is the fit, if your suit moves water, you're gonna be a cold unhappy diver!

I have any XCEL 8.7.6.5 Quad Density and dive regularly in southern CA to about 50F (I have about thirty dives on it). It's a great suit, goes on easy, keeps you warm, almost semi dry and my stock size fits well. Agree with previous poster about crotch squeeze, but pouring water down suit should help.

IMHO 40F water might be pushing it's capabilities - it would be too cold for me. I'd think I'd look at a dry suit or certaintly an extra core warmer or something.

Hope that helps,

Grey_Wulff

mossym:
i know someone who just got the mares isotherm and loves it..hardly gets wet and stays very warm in low 50's here in Nor Cal. i can't vouch fr it myself, but he seems happy, me i just got my drysuit and i'm happy out!!

I got one from scubatoys. Love it unless it's hot outside, then I can't wait to get into the water. Kept me warm in the 48deg quarry.

Has anyone tried any cheaper hooded full, or semi dry suits. I am a college student, aka have little to no money to spend on suits. Currently I dive 3 wet suits between 1/2mm and 5mm with a hooded vest and dive water in the mid 40's. And quite frankly i'm just tired of being cold all the time. I defienlty can't afford a dry suit, and a 500.00 semi dry is out of my price range as well. I was wondering if anyone here has taken a chance with any low end semi drys and found anything worth the price.

Visibility is not an issue

I dive a 7/5mm semi-dry suit from Divers Supply.
Cost $189.
Keeps me quite warm in 50 degree water, and I'm cold natured.

the K

Back
Top Bottom