cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regtech17

Reaction score
I am trying to find information on what is considered "cold water" for a regulator. I have a scubapro mk25 s 600 and it's not a cold water reg. Can anyone give me information on what the minimum temperature it could be use at? I dive typically in waters 50 celsius and up.

Thanks

Holy Jesus.

If you're diving in waters 50 Celsius and up, I think the absolute last thing you have to worry about is the cold water performance of your regulator.

Where do you dive? Volcanoes?

Now you know how the lobster must feel...

HOT TUB PARTY!!

I figured you meant 50F, I just thought it was funny.

You should be fine diving any reg in waters that warm. That's about 10 Celsius, to make sure you did any conversion OK.

Hah, I thought maybe you were hot spring diver or something.
That reg is great at anything above 45 F and have one myself. Below about 45 F it gets a little 'jumpy' and around 35 F it is a crap shoot for a free flow. Below this temp unless all the risk factors for free flows are minimized you will eventually have one likely at the worst time. I'd stick to a diaphragm reg in water below 40 F.

regtech17:
Opps! I meant 50 F. Sorry, but i still need your input.

Thanks

Cold is a relative term. 50 F around these parts is considered moderate. Below 40F I would say is cool. I have a ScubaPro MK25 (non AF) that I dive with down to about 40F. Below that I switch to my Apeks ATX-50. However, you should have less likelihood of problems if you have good air and good gas management.

Warren just curious why the reg switch? Why don't you just dive the Apeks in all temps? By the way speaking of good gas management and free flow prevention have you noticed the new air certs on Aquarius web site? Now that is some dry air and takes one risk factor out of the equation for free flows.

Well, that's my reg, too, and so far, so good, down to 34F with 39F being a fairly common temp for the stuff I did last summer. Only had it about a year though, and only about - hmm - 40 or so dives in water below 50F? YMMV

I was out under the ice this weekend. Water temp was 35 to 37 degrees farenheit. Three of us were using different Apex regs. One was using a Scubapro. None of the Apexes (Apex? Apexii?) had any problems. The Scubapro freeflowed repeatedly and with great exuberance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom