Coldwater First stage...How cold we talkin'?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafire

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am reading about first stages...and noticing you can get them so they handle cold water well. How cold are we talking?

I would only be diving in Springs around Florida...is that cold? Or are we talking, freezing cold?

In what way does having a cold water first stage benefit you?

Cold water first stage just means it's sealed from the elements to help prevent freezing. So... very cold water. I've dove my non-coldwater reg in mid 40s and never had any problem. Are you going to be doing ice diving?

No, not in Alabama or Florida!

I figured cold meant "REALLY COLD"...just making sure.

So I guess I dont need to spend the extra money on that feature. Thanks!

I used an unsealed reg for years in low as 39F for 7 years, then I got a sealed reg, and now I've got unsealed regs for tec and was paranoid about them being unsealed, then thinking about it, and my first reg being unsealed I've decided to not worry anymore.

I don't have a problem using sealed regs in warm water, and you never know when you might make a trip to some cold water so I'd rather have the extra insurance.

Peace,
Greg

I would say that down to about 45-50F degrees there is no real need to worry about cold water regs, but below that you start to run the very real risk of freezing stuff up. And its not just ice diving where you run into cold water. I was recently in the ocean for my instructor exam here in newfoundland, canada and the water was a bone-chilling 30F.

I am reading about first stages...and noticing you can get them so they handle cold water well. How cold are we talking?

I would only be diving in Springs around Florida...is that cold? Or are we talking, freezing cold?

In what way does having a cold water first stage benefit you?

There is nothing in Florida that is going to freeze your regs. That said, getting a sealed reg isn't really needed, but theres nothing wrong with it, either.

Near me is a deep quarry where the water never gets above 39 degrees near the bottom. Several people have died there when their reg froze.

If you trust Wikipedia, this article: Diving regulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia would have you believe that icing resulting in free-flow becomes an issue at temperatures below 5C (41F).

It is my understanding that, at the time of purchase, it is only a small "upgrade" to go from a non-cold water reg to a reg that should perform well in cold water.

..........It is my understanding that, at the time of purchase, it is only a small "upgrade" to go from a non-cold water reg to a reg that should perform well in cold water.

Not all primaries, but MK11 --> MK17 would be one option. (cost me less than $100US to do this)

Maybe the reg experts will offer other possibilities...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom