Collapse of the "Buddy System"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it would be useful. But, to be effective it needs to be short, encapsulate the major points, and easy to remember. I'll work on it.

Come up with an acronym for the good buddy list: PLUSSED.

Communicate
A. pre-dive
1. P(lan the dive)
2. L(isten to your buddy)
3. U(se standard hand signals)
4. S(eperation procedure)
B. in-water
1. S(tay in contact with buddy)
2. E(ffective communication)
3. D(ive the plan)

I started my outline with communication because without it we severly limit the potential for a good-buddy dive. Good communication starts with a pre-dive discussion of the plan. This includes BWRAF, the goal of the dive as well as how deep, when to turn the dive, who will lead, etc.

Listen to your buddy. There has to be two-way communication. Strive to achieve an agreement even if it means a compromise with some issues. This is harder than it sounds. It should include sizing up your buddy given the circumstances and making a decision even if it means choosing the less-than-ideal course of action. The last point is mostly an issue with an inst-buddy on a charter since there is more of a time constraint to get in the water.

Use standard hand signals. Apart from using slates most communications under water are made with hand signals. The signals must have the same meaning for both divers. I inserted standard to ease the burden of reaching an agreement especially when talking with inst-buddies on charters. I like using the NACD (national Association of Cave Diving) one-handed signals.

The Seperation procedure needs to be agreed upon before entering the water. For deeper dives this is particularly important. Going to the surface might be fine for shallow dives but for deeper dives when divers return to depth increases DCS and AGE risks.

Staying in contact with your buddy means proper situational awareness. Can I see my buddy and can he see me? If there is a change in the plan I need to communicate this and get agreement before initiating the change. Am close enough to get aid or give it in an emergency?

Effective communication covers the responses by our buddy to eliminate misunderstandings. Every signal should be repeated by the buddy. We all use the OK signal in this way but it needs to be extended for all signals. As an example, suppose that two buddies stay in contact. At the time diver-1 gives the down signal diver-2 is looking in diver-1's direction but is not looking directly at him. He doesn't see diver-1's signal but out of coincidence gives the OK asking for that response from the diver-1. Diver-1 assumes diver-2 is agreeing to go deeper and begins the descent. However, diver-2 is left wondering why diver-1 has left him. If we agreed to repeat hand signals diver-1 wouldn't descend but would repeat the deeper signal until he either got the same deeper signal from diver-2 or a no and then a different signal.

Dive the plan. Unless both divers agree to the goal and particulars of the dive there will be a greater chance that either diver will separate. If you don't dive the plan, you are not buddy diving but solo diving with your own plan.

PLUSSED, as a word, carries with it the idea that if we carry out these fundamentals then our dive will be a "plus" (good) rather than a "minus" (bad) dive.

Last edited:
Are you speaking from experience?

I have been wise enough not to engage any, uh, insta-buddies there. And if I did, I'd definitely have a checklist. You know, like how close to get to your buddy, checking equipment, when to call the dive, etc.

I have been wise enough not to engage any, uh, insta-buddies there. And if I did, I'd definitely have a checklist. You know, like how close to get to your buddy, checking equipment, when to call the dive, etc.

dugong-meme-generator-chuckle-53fcb0.png

I thought I was overdoing it diving right next to my buddy but thank god I have been right in doing so. I have just been used to keeping my buddies at one arms distance away from me and even then there were moments we had to scan out for each other because we lost sight of one another.

I could not imagine some insta buddy taking off and keeping 20 feet of distance underwater. I would request someone else or group dive in that case.

keeping my buddies at one arms distance away from me .

That makes sense on a first, or nearly first dive, or in low viz or exploring a wreck, but if we are in 20 plus viz of water on a shallow coral reef, that would feel close to me. It would make photography, even casual photography, of anything that moves difficult.

Might be good to discuss closeness as part of the dive discussion before the dive.

But then I have short arms. :cool2:

PS: If you are one arm length away, which is less than three feet, and it is not low viz, and you get separated from your buddy there are some sort of awareness/communication issues that you two should be talking about pre and post dive.

That makes sense on a first, or nearly first dive, or in low viz or exploring a wreck, but if we are in 20 plus viz of water on a shallow coral reef, that would feel close to me. It would make photography, even casual photography, of anything that moves difficult.

It has more to do with "How far/fast can you travel with no air in your lungs?" than visibility, especially since once you get to your buddy, you have to do the "I screwed up" hand signals and your buddy has to figure out what's going on.

My preference is to bring my little yellow buddy "Luxfer" or my big white buddy "Faber" :cool:

flots.

You just didn't have good buddies. Being good buddies requires some practicing. Develop some communication methods: dive with lights and noise makers. Follow strict rules: who is leading, who is following. The leader needs to be predictable, show where he intends to go. The leader shouldn't just take off if he saw something interesting. The follower should always stay next to the leader and a little behind, so the leader could always see him. If the follower saw something interesting he shouldn't just swim there, he should signal the leader first. And so on, and so on. Develop these protocols with the buddies you dive with all the time. With instabuddies I consider myself always solo until we dove several times together and already know each other.

I think that is spot on. Because if you don't you might find yourself with an olympic racer flying off into the distance. Not only will you go through your air quickly,as you are trying to try catch up, but you won't even get a chance to check out anything interesting around you. You will be fixated on keeping up with speedy,and that will be your only goal for the whole dive, wonderful!. If I have a choice of buddys I was always pick a woman first ,especially because they like to take it slower ( I assume most of them) and they are happy to take there time and checking things out a bit longer. This makes the dive more enjoyable and everything that is important can be based around this pace that is set. Nothing is gained by hurrying to a spot or flying around in different directions, You can't film, you can't relax, and if their is an emergency they get to far to help. I hope guys are reading this and perhaps do the first thing when taking the lead "SLOW DOWN". Its really not that hard. As you mentioned above , where to be when you are following is important thing to mention to your dive buddy before the dive, just to make sure. If you know how to be a good dive buddy you take the lead first, this might serve as a good example for your dive buddy when, you let them lead if you agreed to do this prior.

I keep seeing references to guys go fast and women go slow. In my experience with insta-buddies, the newer the diver the faster they go. I've had plenty of women buddies that are olympic racers. With more experience you come to learn (with certain exceptions) that this 100 ft. of reef looks alot like the next 100 ft and if you'll stay still, stuff will come to you. I think excessive finnning for new divers helps with their bouyancy and trim. It takes practice to be still and hover. I've seen really experienced divers take a nap. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom