Color Absortion at Depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubyDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a question concerning color absortion at depth. I know the colors are absorbed the deeper you go with red, orange, yellow, green, and finally blue. We learned all about this in O/W course. I dont recall however it saying at what depths various colors are no longer visible. For example, at what depth is red no longer visible, what depth is orange no longer visible, etc. Does the weather influence these depths..i.e., a bright sunny day as opposed to a cloudy day?

As a followup question, how much does a color correcting lens, (such as on a SeaVision Ultra Mask) affect this?

Color absorption is varied a bit but the ambient light..sunshine, clouds, etc. But not enough to really make a huge difference. The link Sunshinefish posted should answer your questions.

I've been using a color correcting Sea Vision mask for about 5 years. It's hard to describe but technically yes, it does work. Red and orange colors are a little bit brighter in shallow water. And you'll still see hints of those colors down to about 45-50 feet on a very bright day when with a clear mask everything would be blue. But to buy into the advertising blurb about the lenses replacing color at depth, no it doesn't do it.

Another point of confusion is using the colored lenses for night dives. I've always used them for night dives and have no trouble seeing at all...even without lights. One thing I really do like about them is they serve as sun shades while on the surface. I spend alot of time on the surface with students and Ive come to depend on them for that reason. What I don't like about them is other divers, especially students, can't see my eyes very well. My next RX mask will have clear lenses in it.

Don't know the exact depths..all I know is when I pricked my finger on a Crown-of-Thorns starfish at 70 odd feet, I bled green! (no...I didn't mean to touch it...current kind of pushed me). The starfish also was green, so I thought I was poisoned and was going to die! I later realized that Crown-of-thorns are usually red or orange..hence the green color.

But, that was the coolest (even painful) demonstration of color obsorption I have ever had. And, let me tell you...those little suckers HURT!

:yellow: you also have to take into account the clairity of the water. if you have a hundred foot vis the color absorbtion well be differant then if you only have 20 ft of vis as you well loose ambiant light a lot sooner. and then through in the atmosphireic conditions ontop of that. Well you get the idea..
:yellow:

Thanks Everyone for your responses...

Sunshine...your link was just what I was looking for. It answered my main questions about what depth colors are absorbed. At least reds and oranges...

Dee...I have a SeaView UltraPlus but havent tried it yet. I pretty much figured it would behave as you described. So far Ive only dove with my Mares Opera masks. I havent dove anywhere but a pool so far, so I havent needed it yet. I was just curious as to what I should expect. Thanks for your insight.

ScubaBunny....Bled Green!!!! Hmmm? Now you wouldnt be Vulcan would you? Just kiddin! I bet that was really strange. Have to say I hope I dont ever experience it myself. :)

SoloDiver....Good point on the Vis.. I guess the physics of it all is pretty simple, but I hadnt thought about it. I will from now on though.

Thanks again for all the info and advice. It was a big help. I just love this board!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom