Color correction filters for GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pedroeguiguren

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Hero3 + On dec 7 this year 2014 I recorded my first underwater videos. While the videos are awesome and the GoPro does a great job I realized I need a magenta or red filter to corrext the greenish color of the water in this diving spot in Ecuador.

I've been searching all around the web and there are several options with very different prices wich leads me to beleive the must be a huge difference in Quality.

We have the polar pro filters which are nice as they are easy to take on and of. And look great at an affordable 29.99 PolarPro.com: The Leading Arctic Travel Site on the Net.
But there are also the backscatter one at 69.99 that has a very cool flip sistem with diferent color filters according to how deep you are. They do explain why the different shades of red and orange of their filters due to an extensive research to find the most soothing filter for the apropiate depth rather that the "red or magenta" for polar pro (this threw me off as It turned the hole color election of the filter harder)

And the we have the 55mm adapter and lenses from DSL or something like that..... the blurfix at 79 $ and above..

Came to my surpise whe I found a MAKO red plastic film that happened to be the filter at 3 $.

Either this MAKO filter will not work nearly as well as the others, or the other ones are ripping us off...

I managed to edit a video with adobe aftereffects and woala! Gets the job done! I will try to attach a picture so you can see for yourselves

So I need help... who has experience with this filters wich one should I buy.?? (I really want a remobable one)

OR! Will a simple red plastic like the ones found on the old red/blue 3D glasses work?

Please some help!!!

This was using aftereffects
bybatu5u.jpg

Enviado desde mi GT-I9300 mediante Tapatalk

The other ones are ripping you off.

In the strobist community (off camera flash) the thing to do used to be to get a sample kit from Rosco. For free. They make color inserts for a lot of high end production equipment, and offered that so that studios could test out the colors before committing. They eventually caught on to this and added a price for a kit catering to the needs of strobists.

I guess my point is that the best product for this correction was so cheap to produce that the company offered it for free as a sample. A small circular insert probably costs less than a buck to make.

While you can pay $50-100 for a system that has a fancy flip, why bother? For me, the little dot was good enough and i'd rather save $55 than have a system that is marginally easier to use.

Back
Top Bottom