Colored covers on second stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren't you saying the same thing that I did?

You asked why it was a bad idea to color code regs and I replied w/ ROYGBIV. I was just trying to answer your question. But I agree w/ you on the oxygen reg to id it on the surface. It is just a bad practice becuase the colors are meaningless at depth and just knowing that "oh, my blue one is my travel mix, but pink is a deco gas"... you can see where that is going. I would rather rely solely on proper cylinder marking.

And I would not O2 clean all of my regs, either. The first time you put non-O2 clean air through those things they are no longer clean. I will never breathe more than 40% on my back gas so they don't need to be O2 clean, and I travel a lot and run into a lot of different fill operations. Continuous blend or membrane nitrox? May not be o2- compatible air. Your regs aren't O2 clean anymore. I clean/store/handle my deco reg separely and when I start messing w/ multilpe deco gases, I'll just add to that group of regs.

You asked why it was a bad idea to color code regs and I replied w/ ROYGBIV. I was just trying to answer your question. But I agree w/ you on the oxygen reg to id it on the surface. It is just a bad practice becuase the colors are meaningless at depth and just knowing that "oh, my blue one is my travel mix, but pink is a deco gas"... you can see where that is going. I would rather rely solely on proper cylinder marking.

And I would not O2 clean all of my regs, either. The first time you put non-O2 clean air through those things they are no longer clean. I will never breathe more than 40% on my back gas so they don't need to be O2 clean, and I travel a lot and run into a lot of different fill operations. Continuous blend or membrane nitrox? May not be o2- compatible air. Your regs aren't O2 clean anymore. I clean/store/handle my deco reg separely and when I start messing w/ multilpe deco gases, I'll just add to that group of regs.

I agree with you 100%. I was just reacting to what the other guy said.

Why not just have all your regs the same color, so they're completely interchangeable?

Can we get custom printed lycra pull-on covers? We can say that they're to help prevent free flows caused by facing into a current. (Really, they'd just be for style... and so that we can put the Scotland-inspired one on the deco reg so we can gasp and say, "He's gone to plaid!")

The only decoration any of my regs have ever had was a hose wrap on one I picked up used. I pulled the hose wrap off and now use it to bundle a multi-cable AV link of mine.

Why not just have all your regs the same color, so they're completely interchangeable?

Personally, I don't care what color my regs are. I just can't understand why it is a "bad idea" to color code your regs if you want to. Apparently neither can you since you don't seem to be able to answer the question. Just because you don't like to do something doesn't make it a bad idea.

It might be that when diving independant doubles it is nice to beable to see by color which tank and spg to use. But beyond that everyone wants to dive a unique reg dont they?

Just kidding I dive black for both of my single tank sets.

... Apparently neither can you since you don't seem to be able to answer the question. Just because you don't like to do something doesn't make it a bad idea.

:rofl3:

Yeah, that must be it.

Personally, I don't care what color my regs are. I just can't understand why it is a "bad idea" to color code your regs if you want to.

Because it adds one more opportunity for a mistake that won't be corrected with a cross-check.

With no color-coding : you check your cylinder markings for gas switches.
-> one opportunity for a fatal mistake
With color-coding : you check your cylinder marking when you attach the regulator
you then check your regulator color when doing a gas switch
-> two opportunites for a fatal mistake

You can argue that you can check your cylinder marking AND the regulator color during gas switch, but then why bother with the color in the first place.

Now if this 'color-coding' is just for keeping track of the O2 clean regulators that you can attach to the O2 bottle, then I guess there is really nothing wrong with doing so, as long as you don't rely on the regulator color during gas switches. (Which, by the way, will take conscious effort, given the human tendency to take shortcuts, and is probably a good reason to actually eliminate the distinction between regulators to force good practice 100% of the time.)

Personally, I don't care what color my regs are. I just can't understand why it is a "bad idea" to color code your regs if you want to. Apparently neither can you since you don't seem to be able to answer the question. Just because you don't like to do something doesn't make it a bad idea.

Depends on what yer doin' The tech guys all color code their gear "Tech Black" :D

Cars have long been sold by changing some unimportant detail and calling it new. Why wouldn't the dive mfgrs do the same? (especially if it gets someone to see it as what they NEED to buy!)

In recreational diving yellow means octo and green means nitrox. There are no color designations in technical diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom