Coltri Sub cylinder WARNING!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leadking

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, and I see its sold with a Coltri Valve which, from my experience, after having seen hundreds of these valves, has no burst disc arrangement - this may or may not be an issue, depending on the high pressure gas regulations of the country in which its sold.

Thats not to cast doubt on the quality of the valve, these valves are manufactured by "Finesso" a highly respected Italian valve manufacturer, and their track record is impeccable, but I know certain countries demand burst discs on HP cylinder valves as a matter of regulation, so its well worth checking first.

We are a distributor for the Coltri Sub tanks, manufactured by KCR in Korea, and they are shipped in two versions. The ones that are shipped to the U.S. all have the 3/4-14 thread and are sold with a Sherwood or Genesis valve.

This eBay listing appears to be a tank that was initially sold in Europe.

The ones that are shipped to the U.S. all have the 3/4-14 thread and are sold with a Sherwood or Genesis valve.

This eBay listing appears to be a tank that was initially sold in Europe.

Yes, almost certainly.

I am surprised they would try and sell them in the USA, when as metric units they would be much more acceptable in Europe, although I have to say, Aluminium cylinders are not as popular there as the USA, so maybe theres some logic in the thinking.

I also thought I saw "more than 10 available" which could mean 11 or 100 units available........ :idk:- but, anyway, it dos sounds like they were initially destined for the European market.

Maybe cylinders are more expensive then I remember, but it seems that $139 plus $62 shipping for an aluminum 80 is a little overpriced. I remember the pricetag on the US version at DEMA....

Maybe cylinders are more expensive then I remember, but it seems that $139 plus $62 shipping for an aluminum 80 is a little overpriced. I remember the pricetag on the US version at DEMA....

:D - Yes, I also thought so, which got my cynical mind working here - its immaterial I know, but I am wondering how many they have?

I just have a little suspicion that this was a auction job lot sold in Europe, its quite a few more than 10 :D, and the purchaser had a restraint on reselling them in the European union at a cheap price, to avoid price issues at retail level for Coltri and their dealers.

On the other hand I could be completey wrong.!:wink:

The European cylinders are not listed on their website, the only al-80's they list are Luxfers, at a reasonable retail price, nothing earth shattering. I'm surprised that they are trying to market a European cylinder in the states, when no-one will be able to fill it. I can't imagine they have a TC or DOT stamp.

I just saw a listing on Ebay TANK DIVE SCUBA S80 COLTRI SUB ALUMINUM CYLINDER WATER - eBay (item 160412638564 end time Apr-10-10 13:21:44 PDT) for Coltri Sub S80 cylinders and the specs list a 25x2 valve thread. These threads are close to the US standard of 3/4x14. If a 3/4x14 thread is used on these cylinders the valve can be ejected from the cylinder under pressure.

Due your due diligence before buying these cylinders!

I called Water 'n Sports Dive Shop in Vero Beach and asked about these tanks. They are standard Luxfer AL 80s with standard 3/4X14 threads. He said the "25X2" statement in the ad was an artifact left over from copy and pasting information from Coltri's website and that he would have "his internet girl" (Vicki) correct the listing. He verified they are 3AA and have both DOT and TC stamps.

These tanks actually have Genesis convertible DIN valves, not the Coltri 25x2 valve.

I called Water 'n Sports Dive Shop in Vero Beach and asked about these tanks. They are standard Luxfer AL 80s with standard 3/4X14 threads.

So are they Luxfer's or KCR's (Korean) or Catalina's?

Any company who doesn't know what they are selling and what the spec.s are in a life support situation is unprofessional in my opinion.

So are they Luxfer's or KCR's (Korean) or Catalina's?

Any company who doesn't know what they are selling and what the spec.s are in a life support situation is unprofessional in my opinion.

He said they were standard Luxfer AL80s. He was quite confident these were reglular Luxfer tanks, legal in the US with DOT stamps, with standard valves, and the issue from the Ebay ad was caused when the "internet girl" was a little over zealous copying and pasting information from Coltri's website.

FWIW, this shop does not solely sell scuba gear.

Back
Top Bottom