Comb Octo/Inflator for Drager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dude

Contributor
Reaction score
I would like to replace the BC inflator on my Drager with a combination octopus/inflator.
My question is are all BC inflator and dumping hoses standard? If not which octo/inflator will fit the Drager Dolphin?

"I would like to replace the BC inflator on my Drager with a combination octopus/inflator. My question is are all BC inflator and dumping hoses standard? If not which octo/inflator will fit the Drager Dolphin"

I am doing the same thing. I took my unit into my LDS and tried both the Atomic and Scubapro versions and they both fit. I'm told that the Sea Quest Air Source will also fit, but you have to remove the tube hose first.

There is a catch to all this. Depending on where you locate your pony bottle (left or right) you will need a longer hose than what comes with the unit. I ordered one from the LDS and will verify when it arrives but I think it will fit any of the three mentioned.

To install you will need to first remove the current oral inflator. When you do so you'll see a threaded band that is two pieces (save it). Then carefully remove the small pin with a punch for the pull inflator. First dry fit everything to be sure of a good fit. Then disassemble again and place a small amount of wet suit glue inside the hose where you are going to connect new reg and assemble. I was told not to put the glue on the male part of the reg but inside the hose instead. Also reassemble the pin with lanyard before doing the gluing. Then reassemble with the tread insert. If this is a bit much for you, your LDS should be able to do it in a few minutes for you.

I received my hose and Atomics combo unit last night. The Atomics hose does not fit the air-source. I will still put an independant octo banded on my bailout bottle for my buddy, the combo unit is for me. This way I have one less hose in the way.

Now if one of the computer folks will only add cylinder pressure (2/3 tanks would be better) to a unit that handles PO2, different gas mixes etc, and make the whole thing wireless I would be happy again.

Good Luck.

Some Dolphin's are (or were) fitted with AP Valve's AutoAir (the company also supplies the BCD).
Also enclosed a picture from a dive shop in Malibu, with an Atomic SS1 fitted.
As the SS1 comes with several adapters it might be your best bet.

I have the Scubapro Air2 on mine. It fits fine. Just remember the inflator hose is different from the standard LP hose.

Please also think about why you're doing the replacement; if you're planning on getting rid of your normal bailout regulator - the "one less hose" reason - think about what you'll donate to your buddy if/when he's out of air or has a problem with his bailout gas. If you prefer these types of setups, by all means, go right ahead.

My experience with these units hasn't been particularly great. I've got the Scubapro Air 2 on my Dolphin - it came that way from the factory (it's vintage Atlantis I era). I have / had the Buddy AutoAir on my Evolution (on the way) or the Inspirations I've dived. All of them breathe so poorly that I wouldn't use them over the really nice reg on my deco/bailout bottle unless there was some terrible, horrible emergency situation. I'm thinking about removing the Air 2 from the Dolphin before I give away my Dolphin to my girlfriend, and just replacing it with a standard inflator...less parts to fail.

I don't want to debate the merits of these setups - I don't believe there are any real safety issues with the situation. I just want to make sure you consider the divers you may be buddied with when you go this route...and that you've actually test-dived one or more of this units to see how well they breathe on the surface and at depth.

Thanks for all the great info and views.
Scubanimal, thanks for the valuable replacement procedure and good luck with your next rebreather class!

Back
Top Bottom