Coming back after a 12-year layoff. . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Try Scuba" and "Discover Scuba", Got it. I'll hit the dive shop immediately upon arrival Sunday so I can hopefully get scheduled for Tuesday or Wednesday. I will definitely file a trip report!

Thanks, jbd!

JPC

This is an interesting discussion and I'm going to pipe in because a) I've also been away from diving for 12 years and b) the comparison to flying is interesting and apt.

I've been a flight instructor for a long time, not doing it to support myself anymore, but I keep my hand in. About a month ago a colleague of mine had reason to go through a private pilot's logbook and found that he had been a pilot for fifteen years and had NEVER had a biennual flight review...which amounts to a couple hours every other year, and is the minimum a private pilot can do to stay current. The instructor confronted the pilot about it, the pilot got defensive saying his skills were top-notch. Finally my friend said, doing him a huge favor mind you, 'let me give you a review or I'm turning you in to the feds.' The pilot finally agreed to do the MINIMUM required to stay current, an hour discussion and an hour flying, and my friend endorsed his review with great reservations.

Anyway, a month or so ago the pilot tried to do something only a skilled and experienced pilot would try, i.e. tried to land at a tiny little grass strip in the U.P. with trees all around it. The authorities scraped what was left of him and his passengers out of the wreckage, and life goes on for the rest of us.

I've seen similar accidents over the years, with the same root cause and the same results. Skills are retained only with practice. You say diving is not like flying, and to an extent I agree with you, but it'll kill you just as dead.

For myself, when I decided to start diving again, it was a no-brainer. I'm in the process of getting fully recertified. It's relatively cheap, doesn't take much time, will be fun, and I'll get to meet some new divers that'll be enthusiastic about the sport. Most of all, I'll be confident in my abilities (within limitations) and I'll be as safe as I can be.

My $.02. Sorry for being so long-winded.

ppilot.

I would like to point out that most refresher courses are short--only a couple of hours-- and usually cost no more than $50.

Perfect! That's what I want. I basically want to make sure I get to practice the basic stuff, mask removal and clearing, losing the reg, then retrieving it, practice ascending with a buddy while using the octopus, buoyancy control. I don't know why I couldn't find that Scuba Review link, but I appreciate it.

Ppilot, I posted this because I'm conscientious and was looking for some advice, which I got. I stick by my comment though that the comparison to flying is way over the top. But I've flown private and I've had several rides in military fighters on trainging missions when I was on active duty, and I'm sorry, but scuba diving is just not in the same category. Yes, it's an inherently unforgiving environment, and stupidity can severly injure or kill, so in that sense, it's an apt analogy. But it ain't flying, folks. It's simpler by several orders of magnitude. My favorite column in Scuba Diving magazine used to the the one on accidents (this month's is a doozy!) and it was always the first thing I read. I guess if I'd have taught some idiots to dive, I might go a little over the top, too, so I kind of understand it.

Anyway, I know the world is full of macho, careless idiots who dive, but I'm not one of them. I'll get an instructor to take me out when I get down there. I'm about as cautious and deliberate as they come.

Thanks again for the advice and that link to that review course!

I think one of the most important things for you is to quickly pick a dive operator. Having dove in both Cacun and Cozumel, I would highly recomend getting over to Cozumel, if you can, as the diving is MUCH better in Cozumel. Also you want to pick an operator the has a very high DM to diver ratio ( so long as the DM is in the water with you). I was in Cozumel in June and my two dives where with Eagle Ray Divers and on both there were only three divers and either one or two DM's in the water a great experience. This would be the perfect way for an easy reintroduction to SCUBA.

There we go! I was hoping for some personal recommendation and I got it. I've been poking around on my own and couldn't find the review course link and didn't know about any of the dive operators. And I'm leaving in 30 minutes!

I will immediately check out Eagle Ray Divers when I get there. Thanks a million!

Outstanding! To ppilot and SubMariner, it still ain't flying. . .but that's excellent advice to spend some time with an instructor after a long layoff. The feeling comes back, but it comes back slowly. I only got to do two short dives and was still feeling a little awkward, but my guess is after 4 dives, I'd have been pretty much back up to snuff. Having done it, I heartily recommend the refresher course, and I will do it again if I ever skip a complete season again (which I hope I won't do!!).

Anyway, the Cancun trip report is posted here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t32189/s.html

complete with review of the dives, the course, the diver operator, and the area in general.

Thanks for the advice, everyone, and thanks to whoever found that PADI courses link for me earlier.

Cheers,

JPC

that all went well and you had a good time. I hope you never need another refresher course again:wink:

Back
Top Bottom