Commercial jet air we breath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastwest

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The air was pretty nasty flying in the 70's when smoking was permitted . I would have a splitting headache from flying . I bet the oxygen was 15% or less . Can anybody explain what type of breathing systems our commercial airlines use today.

You think the oxygen level dropped from 21% to 15% because people smoked on the plane?

You can read it yourself.

Pretty darn clean. O2 never approached 15% even in the 70s.

i love that this is in the "compressors, boosters, and blending systems" forum

Commercial aircraft are pressurized, most to about a 9 psi diff, if the aircraft is at 30,000 feet altitude, the cabin will be at about 8000 roughly, varies per aircraft but you get the idea. O2 level is not a problem, the air you are flying in, and the condition of the engines is.
Filtering is only done on recirculated air in the cabin, the initial pressurization air is straight from the engines, through the air conditioning equipment, to cool it, and then on into the cabin.
Newer aircraft like the Boeing 787, don't use air from the engines to pressurize, they use electric driven air compressors, and other measures to make the flight more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom