community service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pete
you are a good man for reconizing were your goodness has come from, and offer to pay it back.

hopefully everybody has someone like that in their life.

I give to my community in several ways.

I think it is important to give back to your comunity and seperatly to the children in your comunity. it is the foundation to a healthy enviroment to live in

Big T, What a beautiful little girl. You aren't biased, you have good taste.

Pete is one of those guys that work extremely hard to give back to the community. I know, I am still a registered Adult Scout Leader and eventually, I am sure I'll find a Troop here in Virginia to help out. I was not a Scout, but when my son wanted to join Cub Scouts, I had to be a den leader. All of the dens were full, so we started a new one. I was the Den Leader, then an Assistant Scoutmaster, then the Scoutmaster, then I found a sucker,, uh voluteer to take the Scoutmaster position and I worked on getting the Troop Committee functioning properly. Eventually, I was the Charter Representative and I was an active one. My son was too old to be a Scout, but I stayed and worked with the Troop. 15 hours a week? I thought it only took an hour? :D

I had a young man walk up to me last year and it took me a minute to realize who he was. He had been in my Cub Scout Den and made it through Webelos and actually crossed over to Boy Scouts, but then dropped out. He had been a hand full and I wondered if he would ever live to be an adult. Anyway, he came up and shook my hand and told me that if I had not been in his life, he would probably have been in prison. He had problems at home and I know the situation was bad, but I never knew how bad until that day. He told me that every time he started to do something wrong, he would think "What would Mr. Wilt think if he saw this in the paper?" That one thought by a young man and the influence I never realized I had has saved a life. Emotional? Yes. It is amazing the affect we can have on other people. Everyone should give back a little of themselves to the community.

I have also been very active in my Church and have held nearly all of the Officers positions. Very rewarding.

OK, Pete, see what you've done? You got us both with tears down our cheeks.

You guys get the double thumbs up in my book :thumb::thumb: I just hope I get to spend as much time with the little one in her extra-cirriculars that you guys were able to spend with your scouts. You both have raised the bar for parenting...I just hope we can all follow

Much like Pete, a childhood experience led me into community service and I have been at it ever since. I lacked a female professional role model as a girl growing up. My mom is a stay at home mom who never had any professional interest outside of raising 4 kids. Hats off to stay at home mom's who want to stay at home but I knew at an early age that wasn't for me.

My high school journalism teacher invited business professionals to periodically come in and speak to our class about their careers and industries. I was exposed to ideas and career paths that my parents would have never known about. This same teacher assisted me in preparing my college applications and selecting a school. Neither of my parents went to college and didn't see the value in taking ACT's your sophomore year for practice or the competitiveness of scores on scholarship chances.

So in honor of Ms. Sabrina Case my high school journalism teacher, I go once a week to a local 7th grade classroom as a Junior Achievement volunteer. JA is a program that runs Kindergarten - High School to bring business professionals into the classroom and work with kids on real life applications to the subjects they are learning in school. My 7th grade class is pre-algebra and we work on developing a family budget, responsible credit management and investing. I bring in examples of the thousands of credit card applications that we each get every mail day that show .9% introductory APR and we talk about reading the fine print and what it really costs when you purchase something on credit. Since I have been pregnant for the last 8 months, my students have done problems with real life figures about how much it will cost me to send my baby to college and how much I should be saving already each month. I think it gives them a better appreciation of what raising them has cost their parents.

Junior Achievement exists in many communities and takes as little as 2 hours a week. If you are interested in more information, feel free to PM me and I will help you get in contact with someone in your area.

:bunny: Heather :bunny:

I volunteer a lot of my time at our local Red Cross. Now I am on the board of directors. Pretty soon I am going to be teaching first aid/cpr and lifeguarding classes.

I also volunteer at the local hospice. That is really hard to do sometimes. Very sad.

Amber

Doug:
Wonderful idea for a thread. Makes us all feel the joy others are doing for the planet. And makes me feel I'm not doing enough!

I have a heart for the people and children with 'special needs'. There is no story that I have as to someone in my life with this concern. I really kinda fell into it, by being called as a substitute teacher to the special ed classes. I started to become close to one of the little girls that has severe problems.
Megan just took to me, and I took to her.
She loves to play with my long hair, and loves my long painted nails. It was just a girlie thing between us.
This grew to me helping in the Special Olympics when they come to town here.
But I feel I have the time to do even more after reading this thread. So now the search is on. Who could use a Natasha out there?

I too believe that it is important to give back to your community. I am a director for our junior football league. Our league is for 4-6 graders and teaches fundamentals of football. This past year we had 215 players on 8 teams. Saturdays duing September and October is all day football games. Due to the increasing number of players each year we are expanding to 10 teams next year. If you think this is a fall project, guess what, we are busy year round with fund raising, equipment maintanance, etc, etc. I got involved because there was no program when my son was young. I have stayed involved due to getting more out of this organization then I give.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom