Comparing Doppler's class and GUE's DIRf class...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry chief, your wrong.

Steve Lewis has shown considerable restraint during this debate and is in the end working towards the common goal of improving diver skills, even going so far as to working outside his own training agency. I may be a hard nosed GUE diver, however, I do have a level of respect for Doppler which is how we first knew him when he ran Techdiver.

No Mr. Scuba, Steve Lewis is not the mystery Steve you are thinking of.

Feel free to try again.

Kevin

I'm out of Kevins?? and Steves??,but I know who Dan is, and of course Tom (You must be his buddy)........as for the rest on this thread, I haven't a clue.

Hmmmm Die hard GUE are you........maybe I could ask you........nope, that's how the last one got going, and I never got any answers anyways.

Like I've said before, it don't matter that much anyways.......I'll do it my way regardless.

See ya,...Kevin.

Col.Cluster once bubbled...

NTD tests it air through the OUC to the original Z180 standards. They had also offered to consider changing this practice, if Pufferfish can present his air testing case critically and candidly. The Pufferfish has yet to comply, as he cannot produce documentation that does not exists. The original Z180 standard is similar to the standards generally used through out the U.S. Ontario as it stands with the original Z180 has one of highest air quality standards in the world.

That is right Puffer, despite all your bs, these folks are still open to what you have to offer; if you can ever get around to offering it.

SNIPPED

Ah JP, aka Col. Cluster after seeing your bedside manner in full form today and you still have the gonadal fortitude to ask me for favours. :rolleyes: I don't know whether to laugh or cry. And I have yet to comply with what, with who. Listen I don't really want to hijack this thread with more air quality stuff as there is a huge thread lurking around that I just might resurect to torture you, but since you have brought the issue up here, and high quality and GUE are supposed to be synonomous then lets just take a little peak under the hood again about the air testing issue at NTD or Northern Tech Divers, the designated GUE shop here in Canada. This may be an mini thesis so please bear with me.

Just for the record as you state NTD is using a lab called the OUC here in Ontario which is not recognized by the Standards Council of Canada (SCC) and therefore is not an accredited lab. Accrediation is a process whereby the lab is inspected by an outside independent agency to ensure the results are reliable. One might say that the three accredited labs in Canada are held to 'rigorous standards' and as such are seen as the gold standard for which to test compressed breathing air in Canada. A test at the OUC costs $120 dollars and at an accredited lab $250. The new 2000 air standard in Canada is called Z180-00 and as part of the standard an accredited lab must be used. The old standard Z180-85 from 1985 and what GUE/NTD shop still uses (remember J valves and horsecollars) is what the OUC lab tries to meet, however they are missing a component called a methanizer on their gas chromotograph which is necessary to get reliable CO and CO2 readings in the low range exactly where a diver needs to be darn sure of the results. For example the GC without a methanizer will easily find a CO level of 100 ppm but will have trouble with 20 ppm. It may get reported as a 2 or 20 ppm. Not a problem at ambient pressure of 1 ATM, but 20 ppm CO in a mixed gas at 7 ATM is 140 ppm which is a problem. The biggest difference though between the new standard and the old is the required analysis for oil and particulates. The OUC does not offer this test at all. The 1985 Z180 standard to where NTD has decided to set their quality 'bar' therefore does not include an accredited lab, has unreliable CO results, and cannot test for oil or particulates in the fill. They set the bar high in teaching and gear but set it as low as possible with it comes to ensuring diver air quality. Inconsistent???

As an aside since CC has his facts incorrect, in the U.S the PADI/NAUI standard for compressed air is CGA Grade E (1997) which also has a standard listed of 5 mg/m3 for oil and particulates (in Canada this is 1 mg/m3). PADI by the way endorses a lab called Trace Analytics in Texas which is also accredited by an external agency to A2LA, a US equivalent of our SCC. So the only divers in North America heading to depths with mixed gas and not knowing at all the concentration of oil or particulates in their fills are those shops using the OUC lab to the antiquated 1985 standard and this includes GUE's Canadian centre of excellence. The rational for getting the O&P's down for the tech divers is two fold. One, oil and fine partics in the presence of oxygen rich mixtures are more likely to explode, and two the health effects of breathing hyperbaric particulates at 7 or 8 ATM is real bad. At those depths you want to be CO and partic free.

So folks I hope you can see the irony of what the situation is here in Canada. On the one hand we have an agency called GUE and represented by NTD which trots out the line about rigorous instructor standards , about being the cream of the crop in the dive world, excluding smokers from their courses, etc., but who are completely in the dark about the health risks of using a lab which is not accredited, cannot provide reliable CO levels, and can't do any oil or particulate analyses. And you call that striving to be the best or representing the cream of the crop? I call that hypocrisy. They then go on to criticize Canadian dive consumers as silly and cheap for not recognizing the high quality of the GUE product. And who is trying to save $500 bucks a year here on clearly inferior compressed air testing by the OUC at the expense of their own diver's health and safety. Yup it is very ironic GUE spends all this energy marketing itself as this elite group of guys and yet in one area of pre-dive planning called air quality analysis they completely drop the ball and have a real potential point of failure with a blind risk. May I suggest that Dr. Ranz write an equally thorough analysis for Quest entitled, "Compressed Air Contaminants: Acute Toxic Health Effects at High Partial Pressures, Do You Know Your Risk?"

CC listen if you pick up the phone and call the Ministry of Labor in Ottawa you will find your answers to the questions you pose. Sorry but no more favours from this end. Let those fingers do the walking.

What I really don't understand though is why you need me to provide anything at all to the GUE boys at NTD other than CSA Z180-00 which you have. That is the best standard money can buy in the country and I thought that is what GUE strived for in instruction, equipment, dive planning, etc. Just drop the comply with us, provide us with this or that regulation and DO IT RIGHT. Get your air tested by an accredited lab to the highest standard available here in Canada. You don't need the government to tell you to do so. Do it for the health benefits of the divers who dive on your team and purchase air to head to 7 ATM, do it because it is the right thing to do. To not do so just makes so much of the rhetoric about diver safety and quality eminating from GUE seem hollow. And don't worry about the shops not testing as we are working on that. Forget the MOL regulations and set the air testing bar at the same place you have it set for instruction, equipment, and all the rest. If GUE is going to lead the rest of us "pagans" then please do it right in all aspects of diver safety.

I will gladly 'comply' though and offer some documentation to the GUE A team as to why they really should put that DIR smoking article away and concentrate on oil and particulates at depth.

Here are some facts. It is the fine particulates one likely has to really be concerned about. Those are particles less than 2.5 microns. The highest 24 hour level in Ontario was 40 ug/m3 in the year 2000 (they are three years behind in processing the data) which was in Toronto north. Don't think Kingston is spared as they have had levels in the thirties on some days with the stuff coming up from Mike Ferrara's backyard. :D This is the concentration then in your intake air. Unless your compressor has a hyperfilter it can only remove down to 10 microns so the entire particulate fraction enters the fill without a hyperfilter. Now you take a concentration of 40 ug/m3 down to recreation depth at 5 ATM and the 'pp pressure' of this particulate load is 200 ug/m3. The EPA considers anything over 65 a hazard to all groups not just the sensitive ones like kids and the elderly.

You ask what are the health effects. Please enjoy a few articles where the author's state their conflict of interests:wink:

Health Effects of Particulates on the CVS and Respiratory Systems

Fine Partic Vasoconstriction in Healthy Adults

And remember that is just the PMs(particulate matter) in the intake air. We haven't even considered what may be added from a hot and tired compressor. But that doesn't matter because with OUC testing they don't even analyse for this. Now that's a game of Russian roulette I am not willing to play. Enjoy the documentation guys.

Sorry Dan you have to restrain some of your fellas there. CC made me do it with that bedside manner of his :eek:ut:

pufferfish once bubbled...

Ah JP, aka Col. Cluster after seeing your bedside manner in full form today and you still have the gonadal fortitude to ask me for favours. :rolleyes: I don't know whether to laugh or cry. And I have yet to comply with what, with who. Listen I don't really want to hijack this thread with more air quality stuff as there is a huge thread lurking around that I just might resurect to torture you, but since you have brought the issue up here,

Surprise, surprise puffer,

You are wrong again. But keep on swinging you are bound to hit something sooner or later. I will even throw you a bone try aka DJ.

As for my manner, now that is the pot calling the kettle black and I will leave it at that. If you are willing to curb yours. I am willing to curb mine.

Here is the credibility issue. Pufferfish says at the bottom of one of his posts that GUE is mistaken and should allow smokers to dive. He is advocating smoking and diving.

Also, here with his air quality issue when these folks say show us Pufferfish retorts with “No I am not doing you any favours”. It is like a scene out of the X Files “The truth is out there”. In my line of work evasive behaviour is usually a keen indicator of deceptional intent. Evasiveness is exactly what you have here. The mystery of labour regulations numbers have failed to appear yet again.

In all fairness, outside of the smoke and mirrors you characteristically laced your post with, you have some interesting points. But you still have missed the big picture. We do not dive air to 8, 7 or 5 ATA’s. Now please take the time to calculate the particle pressures that one.

Folks, keep in mind when reading puffers posts that he deems smoking and diving as okay. I personally do not question that the REVISED Z180 standard is of a higher order. What I do question is whether or not we are getting into the MORE IS BETTER routine. How good is good enough? If the gas we are breathing is bad how is it we are still alive? There should be thousands of divers falling down the world over. What was the original standard looking for when it tests for NO, SO? Are traces of NO, SO signs of other things like the hydrocarbons tested in the REVISED addition? These are things that I do not know and I think should be answered. I also thought all breathing air had to be hyperfilter, how else could you safely partial pressure blend?

I will put it to you once again; these folks are still open to what you have to offer; if you can ever get around to offering it. With that I would think interest goes beyond the boundaries of Ontario.

Why are you holding back? Show the world what you have to offer, including the mystery of labour reg numbers. You can hijack this thread if you like. You can continue another one. I would suggest you start a fresh one. Lay the whole thing out critically and candidly once and for all. This way there can be no shadow of a doubt to what is right or wrong.

It would not take much. Something like “ The revised Z180 csa is this………The Minister of Labour regulation number “whatever” states this. Concluded this unshakable evidence with something along the lines of “Ontario you have to comply because……”
That is all it would take dude. So why not give it a go?

The guys on this thread must drink alot of water....this peeing contest has gone on a long time.

Col.Cluster once bubbled...

[snip]

I personally do not question that the REVISED Z180 standard is of a higher order. What I do question is whether or not we are getting into the MORE IS BETTER routine. How good is good enough? If the gas we are breathing is bad how is it we are still alive? There should be thousands of divers falling down the world over.

[snip]
CC,
So... as a GUE diver, I recognize the value of practice and quality training. However, if I use your logic above one might conclude "there should be thousands of divers falling down the world over" since they're not pursuing higher quality dive training. Since we're taught that "more is better" regarding our practice and continual improvement of our skills, perhaps you could share with me the reason for the apparent conflict/reversal here.

regards,
bob

... and please reread the posts by Pufferfish...

He has never advocated smoking and diving in any of his threads.

He has simply questioned the validity of Dan's reluctance ( or GUE/DIR ) to certify smoking divers. He questioned and provided he side of the arguement. Dan has also provided his side of the arguement.

One can agree or disagree with either or both.

Personally ( not that it matters a whole hill of beans) I think that the basic health and fitness of the individual is paramount to their diving safety. Smokers or not. (FTR I am a non-smoker).

DIR/GUE/NTD have every right as an organization or indivual to not certify anyone at anytime for reasons they deem prudent.

As far as Doppler, he also has every right to design his own training program, based on something existing or with his own new ideas. None of us have any business questioning his techniques or prerequisites. Save and except to ask general questions as to why he would ask for the prerequisites.

I truly believe some of you should get off your "high horses" and stop acting so damm foolish.

well put butch.. and deep scuba we all know your going to do things your way you dont have to tell us that..like butch said its time for some to get off their high horse..that is if you know how to..and leave the rest of us in peace ..

Snugs!!! What the heck are you talking about???

I think you came to the party a tad late, and missed quite a bit of earlier discussion.

Last I checked, someone politely E-mail me RE you, and who you are, so I discontinued an earlier discussion (While being descent enough to leave you be, without further muddying the waters.so of us have more class and respect than to go THAT far). So if this is just another start-up on me, for old times sake, I'll cut it off right here.

Sure I could have embarrased the heck out of you from what I know, but I didn't, I never would, this was and should be about discussing views and first hand info, and not total character assasination,......except if you're Kevin of course.......the Moderators should lift their weary heads off the desk and check out his blatant "I'm a complete idiot" comment.....but of course they too are clearly one sided. Never in all my repeated questioning of MHK did I ever ONCE question his personal being, but rather I kept it clearly at an organizational level, and I still got the Moderator "slam"...........I guess it is really a one way street here.

Oh well.

Live and learn, and make your own determinations.

I'm done here boys...you should be happy enough. See ya in the water.

Regards.

Butch as I said in my last post and has been mentioned in several posts; I will endeavour to curb my manner. This is not to pee in anyones corn flakes. Below Pufferfish admits to signing off smokers as good to dive. By his actions he is advocating smoking and diving. In the second paragraph he states that GUE is misguided. If they are misguided to restrict smokers then it also implies that smoking and diving is okay. Yes Pufferfish repeatedly back pedals and also throws in that he does not advocated smoking, but as I already stated we are all judged by our actions.

Pufferfish quote

I will continue to see smokers and try and use positive ways to get them to quit to the best of my ability. I will continue to sign off firemen, police, and military candidates who are young and perfectly healthy and who want to dive. And despite that I know over a lifetime smoking is just downright bad and nasty and I could refuse to deal with this unfortunate and serious problem by not seeing people who smoke, I feel this would not be in my or the smoker's best interest.

Yup just like it is okay to train non-smokers at NTD and let them breath air tested by an unaccredited lab which is unable to reliably test for CO, oil, and particulates. And who was talking about tar coated bronchioles and CO filled aveoli
So smoking is bad, GUE can make whatever policies they want even if misguided, and I have beaten this horse to death. End of story.
End quote

Take good care
CC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom