Comparing Turneffe Atoll with Glover's reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skarowe

Reaction score
I'm going to Belize in mid April for my first ever SCUBA experience and plan to spend 4 or 5 nights at either Blackbird Caye Resort on Turneffe Atoll or Slickrock Adventures' adventure resort on a private island in Glover's Reef.

Can anyone comment on the main differences between these two diving areas (types of diving available and types of fish I'm likely to see), as well as any info about the resorts themselves? Any info is appreciated really!

I am in good physical condition and a good swimmer and will be doing my open water referral course there. I plan on spending another 4 or 5 nights at Ambergris Caye diving after that. I hope to do 3 dives per day if possible.

Thanks,
Steve

The main differences between the two are the level of accomodations. Blackbird being a bit more high-end. There isn't any camping at Blackbird as well. The diving will be very similar with all the usual characters. On Turneffe you will have the chance to dive one of the best dives in the Caribbean - the Elbow. You have the potential of diving with many large pelagics. I personally thought the visibility was some of the best I've experienced at Turneffe. Only a bit less so on Glovers. They are both much better than the reefs around Ambergris. If I were to go back, my personal choice would be Blackbird. Either choice will give you some great diving.

Have fun!

Thanks Sloop!

1) Do you think I would be able to dive the elbow if I'm getting my OW certification and then doing another 4-6 dives? I think it's listed as an advanced dive--I've read great things about it.

2) Does anyone know about the adventure lodge run by slickrock.com at long caye on Glover's reef? Belize Resorts: Slickrock's Long Caye Private Island Adventure Resort on a Remote Belize Atoll I'm especially interested to know about the dive operation (which is not run by them), since I'll be doing my OW referral course there and then diving 3 dives per day after that. Slickrock.com seem very well organized from communicating with them via email.

Steve

Interesting. I stayed at Slickrock in 2000 (can't believe its been 8 years ago!!). As the poster above stated, you are talking about two very different resorts, each with their own positives. I have not stayed at Blackbird, but have been there for a visit (we were staying at Turneffe Lodge). If you want a glorified Giligan's Island experience, you'll enjoy Slickrock. Just understand what it is. Rainwater showers, no a/c, in fact no electricity other than the dining hut. Diving is a backroll off a panga and you have to kick back up (no dive ladders here). I thought the diving was spectacular at both places, although I am not aware of any "elbow" on Glovers, so you have that on Turneffe. I am sure that there is an elbow like dive on Glovers but no one has found it yet, which is a pretty good statement about how remote either of these places are. The food at slickrock was basic, but super fresh (one of our divemasters spearfished for it daily), a bit more sophisticated at Turneffe as are the accomodations. I think that where you go depends on what you want outside of the diving (which I think is really comprable). A/C vs no A/C, huts or cabanas. It may be that budget drives your trip, if so, Slickrock will be your best bet. Turneffe and Slickrock are both amazing, just different. I did Slickrock when I was 28 and Turneffe when I was 34 and I admit to enjoying a little more luxury these days. Have a great time, really either will be great.

Ska- we were apparently posting at the same time. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Are you a fish in the water? Are you almost or equally as comfortable in the water as you are on land? If so, your OW experience will be fantastic and yes you can dive the elbow. If you are a little skittish (nothing wrong with this, just depends on your personality), you may be a little disconcerted by the lack of any real bottom when you "go over the wall" at the Elbow. If there is any way you can get your OW classroom and poolwork done at home, you really should. That way you should at least be comfortable with your equipment and have some idea about how you are going to react underwater (although I have seen plenty of people do great in the pool and be uncomfortable in open water). In any event, talk to the divemasters/instructors at either place about your concerns and go with what they tell you.

2. As for the operation at Slickrock, here's the deal (at least as of 8 years ago): The folks who own Slickrock intially established their resort as a Kayaking and Windsurfing resort. The Glover's lagoon is truly amazing for these sports and you should take advantage of it. They really had no interest at all in diving and didn't really encourage it. They hired a couple to run the place who really loved diving. The owners of the resort would not agree to add a Scuba complex, despite what appeared to be a moneymaker. So, the couple got some kind of agreement to for their own business and open a dive shop. The owners agreed. Voila, dive operation at Slickrock. Although they are a separate business, they only take slickrock folks diving (because that's the only people on Long Caye). When I was there the manager of slickrock was the owner of the dive shop. Beginning to understand how it works?

Hope that helps.

If there was a choice I would do the Ambergris Caye portion first, get your cerification and work on your diving. Then, once you get your underwater "legs" head out to Turneffe. I've most always planned my trips with the "best" diving near the end of the trip. Diving around Ambergris isn't on the same level as the atolls. Again, the style and level of accomodations are very different from each other.

The Elbow site can an advanced site depending on the conditions. Last time I was there everyone made that dive advanced certified or not. It would have to be a personal decision.

Either place the diving will be great.

Thanks Sloop and 007!

Your posts help a lot. I agree about going to Ambergris first and then to the Atolls...but it may be hard to do, depending on what day we can leave the US. But I will try to do it that way.

I don't miind the Gilligan's Island style, but I'm more concerned about the dive operation there. I've heard some good reports from people who have been there in the past year and I hope to get more reports before I decide. I've only heard excellent feedback about the management/staff at slickrock and I've read a lot of bad stuff about the management/staff at Blackbird, so that has me steering toward slickrock.

Steve

Hello there, I just joined this board and this is my first post, but I couldn't resist replying to this thread. My wife and I dove Turneffe Atoll, including the Elbow, in March 2006 and we have stayed on and dove Glover's Reef in April 2006 and again March 2007. To answer some of your questions, the diving at Turneffe and Glover's is very similar, but I would have to say we thought Glover's Reef was marginally better. More reef fish, more pelagics and very healthy corals and sponges. The Elbow at Turneffe is a great dive, but also somewhat hit and miss for seeing large pelagics, you may or may not get lucky on one dive there. At Glover's we saw Eagle Rays, Loggerhead, Hawksbill and Green turtles, a couple of sharks, the largest Green Moray we have ever seen anywhere, plenty of large Grouper and more smaller reef fish than you could believe! We actually got bored with the Parrotfish and Angel fish after a few dives, they were so plentiful. Vis. was generally in the 100-120' range. Glover's is mainly wall diving, the atoll is at the edge of the continental shelf and the wall slopes down to 3000', but you don't need to go that deep! You will see 95% of everything between 40 and 70'. In fairness to Turneffe, we only did 7 dives in two days there, but we spent a week at Glover's, so there was more opportunity to see more. As another poster noted, diving at both atolls is much better than the barrier reef around San Pedro. We did two dives off San Pedro in 2006 and were not much impressed.

On accomodations, we have not stayed at Blackbird Caye so no comment there, but I agree with the other posters that it is more upscale than accomodation at Glover's, unless you opt for Isla Marisol on Southwest Caye. Accomodation on Long Caye, which is the Slickrock island, is rustic but comfortable. Gilligan's Island with scuba tanks and cold Bellikin's is a very good description. The dive op on Long Caye is called Off the Wall, it is a separate business from Slickrock that focuses only on diving, but they also offer very similar accomodations to divers at prices lower than Slickrock, with the diving included. Food is excellent and it is a well run operation with a good safety record. We have stayed there twice and done over 20 dives with them, highly recommended. Here's their website: Off The Wall Dive Center Island Resort, Long Caye, Glover's Reef Atoll, Belize. Dive, snorkel and fish in paradise!

If you are thinking of going to Glover's for diving, seriously consider staying at Off the Wall instead of Slickrock, you will spend significantly less $$! Have a great trip, you will enjoy Belize either way. We are headed back in mid-March, to Lighthouse Reef this time, to complete our tour of the Belize atolls!

Mike

Another thing to consider, if you're only going out to Ambergris or the Atolls, you're missing out on half of what belize has to offer, the jungle.

I've been to Belize twice, both times we did 3-5 days jungle adventures, and then 5-7 days of diving.

Do a search on Banana Bank for horseback riding and jungle tours, or Ian Andersons Cavesbranch resort inland if you want hard core Indiana Jones adventures like caving.

Last trip to Belize we skipped the party scene / golf carts of Ambergris, and stayed at Hamanasi resort in Hopkins, a small fishing village an hour south of Belize city, MUCH more authentic belize, AWESOME food at Hamanasi, and a quaint quiet village of hopkins. They also take you out to the far away atolls of glover.

I totally agree with Sloop7499. If you can do Ambergris Caye first to get some experience, then go to Turneffe, you will appreciate all great diving that Turneffe has to offer. I was there last year at Ambergris and had a lot of fun, but it was the group I was with, not the diving. I thought the diving was only ok at Ambergris. At Turneffe, the diving was excellent! and would go back in a heartbeat. If you do Turneffe first, you might be disappointed at Ambergris. If I ever go back, I will do Turneffe for the entire week and not bother with Ambergris, but that's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom