comparison between drysuit and wetsuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasean

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from my first drysuit experience...

Previously dived a 7mm Henderson Hyperstretch with a hooded vest...

Today, dived with my new DUI TLS350, a custom sized fleece undersuit, rock boots, and warm neck hood.

Used wet gloves for both wetsuit and drysuit dives.

My comments...

Getting into the drysuit was fairly easy, but I need more talc....

Flexability with the drysuit on and in use was slightly diminished from the experience with a wetsuit, but still well within the acceptable tolerance.

The wetsuit is MUCH more streamlined in the water, but the drysuit was fine.

I was quite toasty in 54 degree water, except for my hands (since they were wet...).

I was mostly dry between dives, since I merely had the drysuit open and around my waist, hung by suspenders from my shoulders.

Used the suit for exposure control, but used the B/C for buoyancy...This, of course, required coordination between the suit squeeze and the buoyancy needs at depth. Some folks recommend using the suit for buoyancy, and I'll try that next time.

Practiced the somersault, OOA drills, and played with the adjustments on the adjustable exhaust valve. Need to simulate an inflator valve sticking next time...(Seems like that might cause a bit of water to enter the suit, when reattaching the hose after it was disconnected as part of the "corrective action" to the inflator valve being "stuck."

All in all, I liked the new suit and would recommend the experience to everyone.

Sean

scubasean once bubbled...
Just got back from my first drysuit experience...

All in all, I liked the new suit and would recommend the experience to everyone. Sean

Was that at a D.U.I. Dogday? Went to one last year, going again in December, afraid I'll buy one this year?! :$$:

don

So what made you decide on the trilam over the crushed neoprene you would find in a CF200 or the hypercompressed neoprene in a CNse?

I'm trying to decide on that myself.

The wetsuit is MUCH more streamlined in the water, but the drysuit was fine.

You noticed that too huh. That was the first thing i noticed on my first drysuit dive was the extra drag compared to my wetsuit. But overall i love my drysuit and would never go back to a wetsuit especially on dives below 60ft.

Welcome to the wonderful world of diving dry. Just remember its not a wetsuit and you cant pee in it without the appropriate hardware :D

dandydon once bubbled...

Was that at a D.U.I. Dogday? Went to one last year, going again in December, afraid I'll buy one this year?! :$$:

don

No, actually it was with my own brand new suit. :wink:

I had done research on SB as well as talking with a few folks at dive sites I've frequented...The TLS350 fell out as the best for what I wanted.

I wanted to go to the San Diego DOG days event, but wasn't able to do so...Plus, San Diego is 450 miles away.

wlo93 once bubbled...
So what made you decide on the trilam over the crushed neoprene you would find in a CF200 or the hypercompressed neoprene in a CNse?

I'm trying to decide on that myself.

The CF200 is a bit pricier, and heavier. I was convinced by others who dive similarly to how I dive that the signature series (kevlar knee pads, pockets, custom measurements) was the right way to go.

On the plus side, the CF200 would probably last a lifetime...

I have no clue how long the TLS350 will last me, but I'm a happy camper so far...I actually *tried* to go feet up today and couldn't....(probably didn't have enough air in the suit to do so, I guess) But practiced a somersault or two anyway.

I think my max depth was 52 feet, on the second dive.

Sean

week, too..I LIKE it.

I expected a learning curve to adapt to the drysuit, but 3 min into the dive it felt not much different from diving wet. More drag for sure, but not that much more...can't see why you would need to take a class to use a drysuit.

Just tap the inflator to eliminate squeeze as it occurs and tweak the wing for buoyancy.

Using the suit for buoyancy control would suck...stability with large amounts of air in the suit would be lessened. Besides, that's not the function of the suit, it's for thermal issues.

I did a second dive using double-95s and it was a little more difficult to maintain trim, but still felt ok. A little practice is all that's needed there.

I found a great deal on a p-valve and am ordering one on Monday...PM me if you want details.

... Need to simulate an inflator valve sticking next time...(Seems like that might cause a bit of water to enter the suit, when reattaching the hose after it was disconnected as part of the "corrective action" to the inflator valve being "stuck."

I need to get my inflator valve fixed. I have to disconnect on almost every dive when descending... No water gets in.

Back
Top Bottom