Comparison DX 750 G and DX 860 G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koen4162

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I began OW photography 2 years ago. Last April my Sea & Sea 750 was stolen but not the OWhousing. Because the 750 camera was no longer in the offering, I decided to buy a DX 860 G set including the close up lens.

I used it on some murky cold water dives in Belgium, with poor to mediocre results. But decided to give it a thorough try during a week diving in the red sea at 5-15 m depth, for subjects closer than 1 m and using a white led video lamp rather than a strobe.

The results were very disappointing. Could that be due to a defect in the camera, or to the way I used it?

1. I noticed that the AF (pulling down the trigger halfway, menu set at spot AF) often did not work (no noise and no green brackets in the LCD) due low contrast/ not enough light, even with the video lamp on. The subjects were closer than 1 m. With the 750 I haven't experienced this, and its AF adjusted faster.

2. I shot with both automatic and manual white balance set at the depth where I was taking pictures, and got often (but not consistently) badly overexposed pictures. I tried to correct it with - 0.5 to -1.0 EV but in most cases the picture is light blue up to dark blue with little other colours in it. I didn't use the built in Flash (menu set to no flash); Iso settings were mostly 70. Aperture from F 4.6 to F 2.9 Focal length from 6 mm to 16.9 mm but mostly < 8.8 mm. Shutter speed from 1/69 to 1/209 sec

I hope you have sufficient details to have a clue

HI koen4162-
We would recommend consulting with your retailer or agent in Europe where you purchased the DX-860G. In the US there have been some instances of the DX-860G camera not properly focusing which sounds like you may have a similar issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom