Comparison of the buying online vs local LDS argument

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 x Faber LP50, with Thermo Pro valves, and shipping to Chicago: $530 from Dive Gear Express.

Just sayin'...
But add $60 to bump up from standard thermo pros to L/R thermo modulars and $30 for Vindicators and you are at $620. Plus fills ...

@Marie13 Maybe see if your 4-letter LDS ("mega"-scuba-internet retailer) will match the 3-letter "mega"-scuba-internet retailer price. Heck, you just dropped serious coin with them on on a fancy garbage bag ( :wink: J/K) and have been touting how great it is - I'm sure that netted them at least one more sale and way more in profit than the difference on the tanks.

@Marie13
It’s easy to say when your LDS is also a big online one.
Come and shop our LDS in Canada and tell me after if you would not buy online.

I do buy some stuff online. Depends on what it is. I do frequent DGX.

The several other shops I’ve been in around the area are awful. If I didn’t have my shop, I’d most certainly be buying damn near everything online.

But add $60 to bump up from standard thermo pros to L/R thermo modulars and $30 for Vindicators and you are at $620. Plus fills ...

@Marie13 Maybe see if your 4-letter LDS ("mega"-scuba-internet retailer) will match the 3-letter "mega"-scuba-internet retailer price. Heck, you just dropped serious coin with them on on a fancy garbage bag ( :wink: J/K) and have been touting how great it is - I'm sure that netted them at least one more sale and way more in profit than the difference on the tanks.

They don’t price match on tanks.

I'm fortunate in that despite living about 3 hours from the sea, I have three dive shops no more than half an hour's drive away. I do not agree with the view of many that you should support your LDS as there is nothing to stop them trading online too.

Of the three shops, one was frequented by the dive school I trained with, and is the closest to me. One of the others was a little further away, but I shopped there mainly because they had a bigger range. One of the problems with many dive shops is that they will try to sell you what they have in stock rather than what you want, or what works best.

@Marie13
It’s easy to say when your LDS is also a big online one.
Come and shop our LDS in Canada and tell me after if you would not buy online.

I've been pretty happy with some of my LDS's...we have several in the area and a combination of them is good enough that I've rarely had to go online. If one shop couldn't get it for me (and they can get me almost anything I ask for), another shop could/would. And I pay in CAD$ and no cross-border shipping charges. :D

And I pay in CAD$ and no cross-border shipping charges. :D

+1

In Canada we presently have three strikes against buying directly from the USA:
1- converting US dollars to canadian dollars
2- shipping fees, which increased tremendously in the past few years for anything and everything
3- custom fees, especially if you make the tragic mistake of dealing with UPS :rant:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom