Compass Error

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miesemer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Actually human error.

Recently my Suunto console mounted compass has been screwing with my head. Sometimes providing what I thought to be correct readings and sometimes not even close (ie pointing south). Luckily my diving has been in a quarry where I know my way around or in high viz warm water vacation dives. I was thinking the card was hanging up and causing the problem but ruled that out when I compared it to my wife’s identical setup and saw the same problems.

As it turned out, my, newly installed "stainless" split ring that I used to hold a nickel plated brass bolt snap for clipping off my console isn’t stainless. The metal ring caused huge errors, in fact the card will follow the split ring 360 degrees. I also found the the nickel plated bolt snap produces a slight deviation (10 degrees). I’m guessing the nickel plating or the spring inside the bolt snap are to blame.

Yet another reason to move my compass to my wrist.

miesemer once bubbled...
[B"stainless" split ring that I used to hold a nickel plated brass bolt snap for clipping off my console isn’t stainless. The metal ring caused huge errors,[/B]

Thanks for the tip and warning.

Another one that I'd like to add is that if your compass has developed a large air bubble, and that bubble is trapped underneath the rotating card, then you will get strange readings and the card will tend to stick.

It took me a few dives to figure it out. Moving the air bubble back to the top made the compass useable until I could get a replacement.

Charlie

Many types of metal near the compass will give you false readings, same with the air bubble.

For any reading, I try to stabalize the compass for a little while to see if their are any variations.

I've seen a lot of compass problems when diving in a location with a lot of metal underwater like a shipwreck, pipeline and the like. I've seen them get hosed when a knife was strapped to the back of the console as well.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom