Compass Lubber Lines are Off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruiser

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My computer/compass is a Oceanic Pro Plus 2. Since I got the computer a couple years ago, it didn't seem like the lubber lines on the compass were parallel with the center of the computer. So this weekend I do some straight edge tests and they are, indeed, not parallel with the computer. The compass needle is centered within the little window so this works, but trying to get a compass heading by lining up my target down the center of the lubber lines is just not accurate.

Oceanic said if I send it in they'll replace the compass for $25. It being dive season and all, I can't part with my computer right now. It's also out of warranty, but was like this when I got it. It was built that way not just something I can twist and line it back up.

I'm real picky about my compass. Would y'all bother to get it fixed? Will it make much of a difference?

Can you post a pic.
A lubber line being off,just sounds like the compass was not aligned in its casing.

2884099794_ffa5a00d54_o.jpg

This is the most visually illustrative I could come up with. The center screw on the computer is kind of dim so I've put an arrow to it. Notice that it's not dead center between the red lubber lines.

I am pretty sure I have the same problem with my Suunto compass. Visually, it just looks like the lubber lines are not aligned with the mechanical housing. Looks to me like my lubber lines are off by maybe 2 to 3 degrees but this could be an optical conclusion (illusion). I just don't know. I have long suspected a problem with the lubber line. My compass readings always seem to differ from other diver's readings by 2 to 3 degrees.

In any event, this misalignment is not a problem as long as you use your compass and use your compass numbers for navigation. It becomes a problem however when trading compass information with other divers.

2884099794_ffa5a00d54_o.jpg

This is the most visually illustrative I could come up with. The center screw on the computer is kind of dim so I've put an arrow to it. Notice that it's not dead center between the red lubber lines.

It's definatly off center,so just take it out of it's casing and realign.
You'll have to put the compass in some "hot"water for this.
Soften the booth by leaving it in hot water for a few minutes and take it out and than put it back in the way it should be.

btw I would remove the compass from the PP2 first.

Hope it helps.

If I take the compass out and reseat it, the red marker in the small window (pic below) will then be off center. That's what makes me think it was manufactured with the top piece not lined up properly because the red marker looks centered from this view.

2883428649_d78578ae6e_o.jpg

If I take the compass out and reseat it, the red marker in the small window (pic below) will then be off center. That's what makes me think it was manufactured with the top piece not lined up properly because the red marker looks centered from this view.

No, why would it be.Just align the red line with the screw and rotate the "top" and you're fine.

300bar—Thanks for letting me know to adjust this thing. I thought it would be complicated.

Robert—I see what you mean with the BIG photo.

Richerso—Yeah, my compass and compass headings do get me around at the scuba park for most things (still haven’t found the gator, although I’ve honed in on the mine and can find it almost every time). J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom