Compass recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a cheap low profile model to bungee mount on my wrist. Because of the low profile, you have to have it PERFECTLY level to be able to use it. I quit relying on it as much and want a newer nicer one. Don't skimp out if you use one a LOT.

If you liked the Oceanic that came in the console are are used to it, buy another. It's most likely the Swiv for around $45 and also the one I use. I also think it's the exact same as the Aeris mentioned above but not 100% sure. The only thing I would look for is forgiveness in angle. Other than that, compasses point to magnetic north.

---------- Post added July 20th, 2013 at 04:00 PM ----------

All I have ever use is a $10 Silva hikers compass from Wal-Mart. Works great, you lose or break it buy another, keep it on a lanyard in a BC pocket.

Silva Polaris 177 - Silva Compasses

I'd buy a land compass also since I don't use the eye level window that comes on dive compass but most land ones you have to hold so level.

I like my Suunto SK-7 in bungie mount.

If there's another analog compass that has even bigger markings, I'd buy it too.

The only thing about the SK-7 is, it has to be read from the side window, not from the top. If you read it from the top, you're gonna be really confused!

- Bill

The only thing about the SK-7 is, it has to be read from the side window, not from the top. If you read it from the top, you're gonna be really confused!

- Bill

For me, top or side reading is equally easy. What is confusing about top read?

I think sk7 is good, so as oceanic/Aries swiv. I have one of each. I like both. Actually I prefer oceanic for the more compact design. Retail for them are about the same price, but you can order used from leisurepro, they sometimes will just send you a new one.

Get an Oceanic swiv compass (get it with the swiv clip mount boot ) and clip it on a retractor...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom