Competition for students?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to say that as well. I think the Deep specialty is of particular value in that many charters do dives routinely below 100'. I always wondered about a DM leading such dives if they weren't Deep certified.

...or at least have been there before.

I have had DM candidates who have never been close to 100 feet deep. I believe you have to be thoroughly comfortable with such depths if you are to be expected to be able to deal with anything that develops on such a dive.

Thanks for all the input! I am going to talk with the shop about the logic of S & R over Navigation as I think that is a very valid question. While it is true that navigation skills are required for search patterns, returning to your entry point in less than ideal visibility is important as well.

In reality I would think the three specialties would all be valid to have and I will probably end up with that.

And between Cozumel, San Diego and Carmel, definitely have been there many times...

I was going to say that as well. I think the Deep specialty is of particular value in that many charters do dives routinely below 100'. I always wondered about a DM leading such dives if they weren't Deep certified. I assume the Deep worshop in the DM course now gives you "permission" to lead those.

The Deep Workshop has a maximum depth of 30m. 'Permission' to go below that depth comes, in a manner, from insurance. Many insurance policies state that policy holders are insured to dive 'within their certification level'. And with the PADI recreational system, to go below that requires Deep Specialty training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom