Compilation: Ways to Flood a Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were on Lembongan Island to shoot the Mola Mola and I was having some Sync Cord problems. There are no electronics stores there, in fact just about the only soldering iron on the island was about a 30 minute motorcycle ride away from where we were staying. One of the DMs took me over there and I ended up re-wiring the end back on. I got back to the condo and quickly put everything back together for the afternoon dive. The next morning as I was doing my usual housing checks I found one of the Sync Cord ends was not tight! I unscrewed it and as I took it off the strobe it was filled with green goo, corrosion. Needless to say, I was cursing a blue streak and was a little sick at seeing this but I went ahead and rinsed it out with alcohol and used a toothbrush to try and get all the crap out of there.

We had just come from a Mike Veitch Photo Workshop in Tulamben and had our cameras and housings blessed in a Hindu ceremony. Sure enough after letting everything dry it worked! That was late last year and despite some corrosion still visible in both the strobe and cord connections I have not had a problem yet. Coincidence???? :D

DSC_7085copy.jpg

A Mike Veitch Photo

Ok as my brand new SP350 sit on the counter top, waiting to go under...I live in fear....You all have terrified me...

I got some water in the housing diving at Mermet. I noticed it about 5 min into the dive. Not much there. Went up right away and removed the camera. It was a dog hair from my Great Dane. I am not sure how it got there, but I would guess it was on the housing, and not on the O-Ring since I cleaned and lubed it before I closed it up.

Camera was fine.
Tom

I'm embarrassed to say how many times I have managed to flood my camera. All were user error, worse to say. Never flooded from a boat, as situation is different, but shore entries where you walk from the car into the water are another story.

First two times I made the same mistake: I read that it was bad to leave the camera housing closed as it compresses the o-ring and eventually it does not work well. In addition, for some reason I had problems using the housing controls to turn on the camera, so with my Ikelite housing I would tend to leave the back panel hooked but not latched, and then turn it on and close up the latches at the last moment. Except those two times when I was in a hurry and distracted and entered the water (shore entry, walking in) without latching it. DOH!

I learned my lesson thoroughly (plus I found a way to turn my S80 off using a different method so on-and-off was no longer an issue), and never did that again.

I consider my latest flood to be a situational fault more than purely my fault. I walked down to the beach for a night dive, camera sealed and ready to rock. I realized I had forgotten to slide the cover of the camera open (annoying "feature" of the S80), so I popped it open and carefully re-latched it. What I did not notice in the dark was that the tail of the (black) strap had caught a tiny bit in one corner, holding it open a tiny bit. One more camera down the drain. :( And one more thing to always check for.

One thing I almost never have issues with is hair, since I have no pets, my wife never goes near my housing since it lives in a pelican box, and I shave my head so no hair will be coming from me. The Ikelite housing is great for providing a clear view of the o-ring, however, so checking is nice and easy. :)

God willing, that will be my last flood for a while, if not ever!

So does that mean if Compudude had 2 floods I can skip mine??? And the universe will be balanced????

CheddarChick:
So does that mean if Compudude had 2 floods I can skip mine??? And the universe will be balanced????
Personally, I'm hoping it means I can skip the next 3. :D

CheddarChick:
Ok as my brand new SP350 sit on the counter top, waiting to go under...I live in fear....You all have terrified me...

My son and I follow a set up ritual everytime, and are fearful every dive. In two years we have experienced one partial flood (camera saved) with two camera/strobe set-up's, have taken over 4,000 pics (priceless). Enjoy your camera, and get flood insurance to help with the piece of mind.

Cheers :cheers:

CompuDude:
What I did not notice in the dark was that the tail of the (black) strap had caught a tiny bit in one corner, holding it open a tiny bit.

When I am setting up a new underwater camera or camcorder, I always remove all the straps. In the case of a Sony camcorder, it means cutting it off with a sharp hobby knife. I always feel a bit funny hacking into a brand-new $1500 camcorder with a knife but I think that the upside is worth it.

Straps can not only block ports as you described, but they are also a place that can statically pick up hairs and dust and then deposit them on o-rings as you insert the camera into the housing.

My advice: remove all straps...

Regards
Peter

peterbkk:
When I am setting up a new underwater camera or camcorder, I always remove all the straps. In the case of a Sony camcorder, it means cutting it off with a sharp hobby knife. I always feel a bit funny hacking into a brand-new $1500 camcorder with a knife but I think that the upside is worth it.

Straps can not only block ports as you described, but they are also a place that can statically pick up hairs and dust and then deposit them on o-rings as you insert the camera into the housing.

My advice: remove all straps...

Regards
Peter
I agree, to a point, although mine is actually a 1" webbing loop around the tray. My coil lanyard connects to that via a 1" SS split ring, and to my BC with a brass snap. You gotta connect your camera to yourself somehow...

CompuDude:
I agree, to a point, although mine is actually a 1" webbing loop around the tray. My coil lanyard connects to that via a 1" SS split ring, and to my BC with a brass snap. You gotta connect your camera to yourself somehow...

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a strap on the camera inside the housing. Its these internal ones that I always remove.

It sounds to me from your description that you and I use the same lanyard (Trident?) to connect the housing to yourself during the dive.

In fact, I now use two of them. But, in my case, the webbing part (and the split ring) connect to the base of the handles, quite a long way from the housing door.

These coil lanyards are great in a current or during a tricky descent / ascent. You can clip the "shortener fast-clip" really short and have the housing sitting firmly on the chest, both hands free. Then, unclip the 2 shorteners and use the housing to the extension of the coil. A wonderful invention.

But, looking at my setup, I don't see how it could ever impede the housing seal. Maybe you need to move the point of connection.

Regards
Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom