Compilation: Ways to Flood a Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel the same way about the 8" dome port. I love the dome, but I wish they would re-design the locking mechanism.

Did giant stride. Broke seal, flooded camera (hey Dad, that's the first time I ever heard you say the F word...). Good thing it was a cheap setup.

Now, not so cheap. Was diving with $3k video camera. At depth, noticed housing flooded. Have no idea why. Ikelite said housing defective and replaced it. I ate the camera's cost. :(

Have had minor leaks in seals. Now every time I open the camera's case, I remove the o-ring, clean the seat, clean the o-ring, meticulously inspect it, then re-assemble.
Then I check it in the rinse tank. I then recheck at the surface, after I have splashed and had the camera lowered to me on a line.

Will it happen again, probably. But every time I switch batteries, I take out the tape/memory, and store it away. There are lots of seals to take care of, which is why I go off by myself to open the housing, clean things, etc. That isn't the time for someone to come chitchat with me.

Sorry,
Got you all Beat!
Filming on set of major motion picture on what is known as a wet set take. There was 5 Panaflex 35mm camera systems with lenses and associated hardware (Value in excess of US $4,000,000.00 dollars)filming a scene where the whole set was to be flooded. Cameras encased in plastic to stop water splashing and doing damage positioned on scaffold to keep them above the water. Water is released all 50000 gallons worth and set colapses with total loss of all cameras and equipment. The movie was Deep Blue Sea and if you have seen the movie you'll know the scene I'm talking about. Total cost to rebuild set and redo scene US$7,000,000.00.

Maddog59

Brand new 8000G. Carefully changed batteries using the pelican case to support the camera in the back of the truck prior to going out on the second day of diving. Discovered a grain of sand on the O ring upon bringing the flooded housing back on the boat.

Same camera after being repaired. Back rolled off the boat, dove to 90 feet and shot to my hearts content. Upon returning to the boat realize I failed to lock the battery covers on both strobes! Somehow luck was with me both stobes remained dry!
Learning from that I decided to use a touch of yellow paint on the strobe at the lock position, and another on the lock itself. If they aren't aligned, I don't go in.

In terms of operator stupidity (error is not a strong enough word) you can be sure that if you don't put the viewfinder on the housing (it was 5AM) you will indeed flood the camera.

Bill

yes, if I recall correctly

we were discussing it once and somebody from Ikelite came on and started blasting me.....so I haven't spent a dime with them since....(I really like Ike himself) They tried to say I hadn't attached it right but I think it is designed poorly. I shot the old style smaller port for six years and never flooded. I have several of their housings, so now I just shoot the old dome.

IMG_1962.jpg

I really like Ikelite service, BUT MY 2 floods have both been at the port to housing connection (one at the surface, and one in a rinse bucket). This is my only problem with Ikelite, but it is a serious one. Unfortunately, Ikelite seems to prefer to ignore or deny the problem, instead of addressing it (an additional set of snap locks perhaps?).

Items damaged
Flood 1 - N50 total loss, 105mm lens $300 repair, Housing electronics repaired for free by Ikelite.

Flood 2 - D70 total loss, 105mm lens total loss, Housing electronics repaired for free by Ikelite.

This'll kill you all....had a Japanese diver buy a kick *** new camera. Top of the line strobe, the works. Then after putting it into his case and descending, he realised he had forgotten to turn on the camera. As he was unfamiliar with the housing, and didn't know how to turn it on, he decided to open his casing underwater to access the camera's power button. People like him should never have children I think :p

LOL! Harsh bro. But yeah, that was pretty unwise for him to do. :/ Id really be frustrated with what he did. He should've just asked other people who may know better than him to do that.

for the o rings in the camera casing, do i have to take out the entire ring to clean it? or i can just apply the silicon gel on the o ring while its inside the groove of the casing?

for the o rings in the camera casing, do i have to take out the entire ring to clean it? or i can just apply the silicon gel on the o ring while its inside the groove of the casing?

Take the whole thing out to clean it and make sure you dont stretch it too much

Back
Top Bottom