Complains about Mares Ariel BCD and MRS System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We acquired a Mares BC device last year and are not happy with it. Here are the problems we encountered.
Background: We are recreational divers (NAUI advanced and CMAS 3*, more or less equivalent ot dive master), we dive up to 40m (130ft), at sea, sometimes with current. We dive all year long, winter and cold water included. We are not very experienced divers (40 and 130 dives respectively). The Ariel BC is my wife’s and I have another BC (another brand). I have used or seen other BC and always paid attention to the details below.
We bought the Ariel BC because we had less experience a couple of years ago, and since I had a good BC, I never had any problem with it and could not imagine we would have any with a BC. I recommanded it mainly because I could not foresee any problem and because it had a dorsal inflation which is very comfortable (not or little side compression).
All BC are the same, right? Wrong. We simply had insufficient experience to choose all the things we like on a BC at that time. We got a good price on the BC (about 400$) which was fairly expensive without the rebate (about 100$ more). If it has a higher pricetag, you would imagine that it is of good quality and design. Wrong again. Read on.
1. Unacceptable: The MRS pocket are fragile. After 30 dives, 3 fixations between the pocket and the plastic underneath have got loose (2 in one pocket, 1 in another one). This cannot be repaired (rivets). This is very very bad and dangerous. We NEVER got even close to the maximum weight (13lb). There is never more than 7lb per pocket. So we did not “destroy” the pocket by overloading them. We are careful divers. We take good care of our “expensive” equipment. Now: What would happen if the four fixations get loose on the way up of a 25 minutes, 40m (130ft) dive? We loose a pocket of weight, BC gets positive and we are helplessly going up fast. This is a deadly situation. This is unacceptable. Even with a MRS system, weight should never ever be able to get loose without action from a diver. (This did not happen but it is a very likely scenario.)
Of course, we need to “buy” new MRS pocket at $50 a pair. We do not take the risk to dive with pockets loosely attached to their plastic plates.
The MRS system is awkward: When the BC is on your shoulder, it is difficult to insert the weight and secure them. So you have to “load” the pockets before you put your BC on.
My BC had industrial Velcro to attach the pockets to the BC. A pocket is a simpler folded piece of sturdy material, no plastic to support it, no problem. This old technology is far more robust than MRS. Nothing can break and little can go wrong. You have to pull quite hard to get the industrial Velcro loose.
2. Steel O and D rings on the BC are badly placed. The ones on the straps are too high and the one at the bottom of the BC are too “centered”. They are just on the edge of the pocket. When the BC is closed, they are too close to each other. You can only practically use one of the two. On my BC (another brand) D rings are about on the middle of the side, which means they come sideways on the hips when the BC is on my shoulder. I have 2 widely spaced and usable rings on each side.
3. Storage pockets (on top of MRS pockets) are unusable. Not only is it difficult to insert weight in the MRS system, but it is practically impossible to insert anything in the pockets when the lead pockets are loaded. And never forget that inserting somlething in the pocket is not the easiest part. How do you get the thing (your light for example) out of the pocket with thick gloves, at 40m? It is again practically impossible without the help of your dive buddy.
That’s why we are now looking, with a lot more experience, for a new, more practical, sturdier BC. May this post help you choose a BC with more care.

Attachments

• IMG_6388.jpg
    IMG_6388.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 683
Hi PM, sorry to see you didn't like your Mares BC! I love mine (although I don't have the same weight pocket system as you), but you've obviously encountered some issues with yours. Your Post does bring up a few questions though...

If your weight pockets were coming appart, why didn't you contact the shop you got it from (or Mares directly) about warranty on this? It still sucks, but at least if they warranty it, that's less of a pain...

Didin,t you try it on first? As you've obviously learned, no, not all BCs are the same! That's why you need to try it on (preferably in the water, with weights in your pockets) before you buy. Most of the things you are complaining about you would have realized when trying it on! You could have then bought a more suitable BC for you. It's the unfortunate reality of buying through the net...:shakehead Believe me, I know...:coffee:

Personally, I don't trust velcro, even the industrial kind. I find there is nothing like a mechanical latch, if it is well maintained, not broken and properly inserted, to hold important things like weights in place. Velcro always ends up wearing down... eventually... But then again, lots of people use it with great success, so...

Anyways, it's too bad you're not hapopy with your BC! They are expensive toys, and it's always frustrating to make bad purchases... I hope you find one that works well for you! :coffee:

Sorry! i just realized that I do have the same weight pocket system as you do! Mine works great!:popcorn: Oh well...

CODMAN:
If your weight pockets were coming appart, why didn't you contact the shop you got it from (or Mares directly) about warranty on this? It still sucks, but at least if they warranty it, that's less of a pain...

There is a one year warranty. They broke after 18-20 months or so. Also, we relocated and it was not easy to go to the store. It was easier to fit new ones ($45 a pair).

CODMAN:
Didin,t you try it on first? As you've obviously learned, no, not all BCs are the same! That's why you need to try it on (preferably in the water, with weights in your pockets) before you buy. Most of the things you are complaining about you would have realized when trying it on! You could have then bought a more suitable BC for you. It's the unfortunate reality of buying through the net...:shakehead Believe me, I know...:coffee:

We tried it. On top of the 12mm wet suit. And it fitted nicely. But when you try it at the store, do you load the pockets with 20lb of lead? Do you try to hook your light, bag, octopus, bouey, knife, computer, compass? Do you even put a tank on it when you try it at the store? We discovered most of the issues over time, not necessarily at the first dive.

What I report as problem, is really the poor quality of the pockets. This is simply dangerous and unacceptable. For the other complains (more "usability" complains), I understand that we all have our preferences and I understand that some people will enjoy their Mares Ariel BC. My wife actually liked the dorsal bouey. My complains are more towards quality of an expensive device and usability/practical issues.

May Mares read this and make sure their next order of pockets does not exhibit the same quality problem. (Or change the way they are attached on plastic back.)

The same thing happened to one of my MRS pockets. The rivet broke so the pocket part was no longer attached to the plastic chassis. I had bought the pockets from scubastore.com. The pockets were still under warranty at the time, so I e-mailed scubastore with pics of the offending piece of equipment. They said they would get back to me after contacting Mares.

Heres the reply from Mares:
Ciao Ramon,

I've just receive the opinion from our technician and he told me that it's impossible to break it with the normal use.

It's possible to break that metal part using, for example, a screwdriver.

Best regards

Francesco Gambino

Warranty Service Dept.
Mares S.p.A.

Mail from Mares to Scubastore:

Sorry, but we can’t accept this item under the warranty cover.
We enclose the answer from our Warranty Service Department, in Italy.

Please, inform to your customer.

Best regards,

Ramon Verdaguer
SPV Mares, Sporasub y Dacor
HEAD SPAIN, S.L.

Bottom Line....
Apparently the MRS pocket was impossible to break unless I decided to attack it with a screwdriver or similar, which they suspect I did.
Very disappointed in both Mares & Scubastore. I mailed Scubastore again to ask them to plead my case with Mares, noting I had bought a good deal of equipment from them. They didn't bother replying.
Nice. :shakehead:

Thats horrible...Im sure Mares will chime in here....there is obviously a problem that should have been addressed.....Now I am known on full moons to attack my weight pockets with a screwdriver....thank god its not a Mares or I would be in trouble :wink:

Im sure they will take care of it......Mares to the Rescue :D

Looks very similar to the OP's thumbnail dosen't it?

it does, and I must agree with the OP that it is a dangerous

Back
Top Bottom