Complete beginner flying to Bali, Denpasar. Where should I get open water diving license?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KShenTK

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi Divers!

I tried snorkeling and scuba diving for the first time last summer and absolutely fell in love! I did a 1-day discover-scuba dive last year in Croatia and am heading to the Bali, Indonesia area this year. I am hoping to get the Open Water License (associated with PADI?) to be a certified scuba diver (what's the best license to get btw?).

Where is the best place to get my license around Bali? Considering:
-underwater sights
-cost
-quality of instructor

P.S.
The PADI website says you need to be a good swimmer to get the license. Specifically you need to swim 200m and tread water for 10 minutes. Are these requirements crucial? I might be able to meet 80% of those requirements. I never had any swimming problems while snorkeling or during my 1 dive but I have 1 month until my trip so I can start swimming everyday to practice if need be.

Have not been to a more professional outfit that AQUAMARINE, BALI. Have done my ADVANCED with them and they are quite good. The instructors are laid back but teach you the important skills.

Re Swimming: Yes ideally you should be able to meet the requirements as they are based on a emergency scenario. It would not stop you from getting your OWC since most dive centers overlook it, but I do recommend that you learn to swim or snorkel in your free time even after you OWC

Have not been to a more professional outfit that AQUAMARINE, BALI. Have done my ADVANCED with them and they are quite good. The instructors are laid back but teach you the important skills.

Re Swimming: Yes ideally you should be able to meet the requirements as they are based on a emergency scenario. It would not stop you from getting your OWC since most dive centers overlook it, but I do recommend that you learn to swim or snorkel in your free time even after you OWC
If the swim requirement is. "Overlooked" it is a violation of standards and unfair to the student.
It is really a simple thing ..so simple that it is usually a requirement at summer camp for young children to be sure they are safe in the deep end of a pool. If an adult cannot meet the requirement, then they should learn to swim, as I would not consider them for scuba certification. Not really based on a emergency scenario, but waterman ship ability and comfort in the water. Anyone that cannot do this simple skill maybe very prone to panic over as simple a thing of water in their eyes or nose.

If the swim requirement is. "Overlooked" it is a violation of standards and unfair to the student.

Absolutely agree, and my post was not meant to imply that AQUAMARINE in Bali overlooks this requirement. I dont know if they do or not, but a quick way to find out is ask members on tripadvisor that have done the OWC course with them. Or any other dive center for that matter. It is the small things that would make your dive experience both a safe and enjoyable one. So @KShenTK take the time and do your groundwork

Would be a good idea to practice swimming and get scuba mask and snorkle and fins and practice with them in pool or lake.

Hi Divers!

I tried snorkeling and scuba diving for the first time last summer and absolutely fell in love! I did a 1-day discover-scuba dive last year in Croatia and am heading to the Bali, Indonesia area this year. I am hoping to get the Open Water License (associated with PADI?) to be a certified scuba diver (what's the best license to get btw?).

Where is the best place to get my license around Bali? Considering:
-underwater sights
-cost
-quality of instructor

P.S.
The PADI website says you need to be a good swimmer to get the license. Specifically you need to swim 200m and tread water for 10 minutes. Are these requirements crucial? I might be able to meet 80% of those requirements. I never had any swimming problems while snorkeling or during my 1 dive but I have 1 month until my trip so I can start swimming everyday to practice if need be.

Just a comment on the swim test - it is a requirement as other have said but it is also a benefit as the more comfortable you are swimming, the more you will enjoy diving (in general good swimmers will have longer dives due to better air consumption).

There is no time limit on the swim part so as long as you manage to do the 200m in one continuous session with no stops, you pass. As for the treading water, as far as I know, it is not stated in the standards how you maintain your position so that could be by floating, treading water, drownproofing etc you get a pass. I was a decent swimmer years ago but prior to my OW, I hadn't been in a pool for about 4 years and managed both fairly easily.

There may be shops that ignore this skill, but I have seen some shops in Asia doing it first , because some people try to learn to dive without being able to swim. It's really important for you and not just to pass the course.

I would recommend Nusa Lembongan or Gili Air for your OW , Bali is also wonderful , but extremely busy. Then when you are certified you can dive with mantas inLembongan or lots of turtles in Gili Air.

Have a wonderful trip !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom