Completed Discover Scuba!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k374

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just completed a Discover Scuba dive with Northern Coast Diving in Sosua. I can't speak more highly of this outfit, they are awesome! I learned a few tips and tricks for mask clearing, bouyancy control and other stuff that was absolutely not taught well at all in my PADI Open water course (I am not certified yet, I had another thread on this issue!

The only minor issue I had was staying perfectly horizontal. Sometimes I would go up/down couple fee +/- and because of that my ears would hurt a bit (I have reverse block and my ears hurt when going up as well unfortunately!! :( but the instructor said that good control takes a lot of experience so not to worry!

All I can say is my first ocean dive was AWESOME!

The dive was about 30ft, they re-iterated the 12m limit for Discover Scuba. The dive site itself was not too interesting (3 rocks) but adequate for a first dive I guess. I wish i had more time to complete my cert through them. Anyways just wanted to put in a good reference for Northern Coast Diving in Sosua! :cool2:

Congratulations! If your intent is to retake OW then you have a splendid jump start and the knowledge that you can do this!

What northern coast are you on?

Pete

What northern coast are you on?

Pete

Hi Pete, I am in the Dominican Republic on vacation... typing this at Puerto Plata airport while waiting for my return flight to Los Angeles actually :)

So when you get home you should sign up for an OW course with a local instructor or shop. Do it while the motivation is strong, and if you'd rather do the dives in the tropics, you can do what's called a "referral" course, whereby the class and pool work are done near home, and the actual dives are completed elsewhere.

I'm glad you had a good time. Lots of divers are dubious about these courses, but they are a nice way for non-divers to see if it's for them. I started diving 10 years ago after doing a resort dive in Cozumel, purely on impulse.

The dive site itself was not too interesting (3 rocks) but adequate for a first dive I guess.

Congratulations.

You would be surprised but people with 1000+ dives dive "kind of 3 rocks" over and over and it's still good for them as far as I can observe:)

Back
Top Bottom