Completely Rebuilt Tekna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
sold

Purchased summer of 2009 and completely rebuilt by Steve Gamble during Fall of 2009.

Lets' start from the front and work backwards:
-Light removed and replaced with aluminum plate
-rubber ring removed, metal handle piece/aluminum plate holder thing flattened and edges rounded off to minimize chance of cutting yourself
-New front shroud. Yep, the whole front shroud is new.
-New 18 amp hour batteries, Powersonics. Burn tested in the water to 75 minutes, but YMMV. 10 dives on these batteries
-New smart charger to go with batteries. It's not the fastest charger, but it takes good care of the batteries
-New wiring. Heavier duty. Basically, no wire was left original.
-All wire connections are soldered. Even if it floods, you don't have to worry about crimps failing.
-Charging port was replaced
-New rear bulkhead
-Upgraded relay
-Orings are new, upgraded thicker Gamble specials.
-New reed switches, heavier duty Gamble specials. Hot glued in place.
-New things to handle the gas emitted by the batteries, two in the motor compartment, one in the body.
-New tailcone. It's actually used, and one side of the very back end has a chip removed to make flushing of the rear seal area easier to do. It is 100% structurally sound and virtually unnoticable, but does make cleaning the scooter easier.
Motor:
-brushes were changed or filed slightly so all of them are in good shape, and checked to ensure they do not hang in the guides
-motor is rewound by the Tampa rewind company
-new bearings
-new ceramic shaft seal
Prop:
-new, upgraded Dive Xtras prop system

Left/bottom handle is removed, but included. P clamps installed on the shroud, will come with tow cord-- this is set up SS style, not Gavin style. You can change it easily by putting the other handle back on. Both handles are wired to the battery.

This scooter is faster than Gavins, and is comparable to most SS's on a setting of 7, when used at a setting of 9. It's relatively fast, but nothing excessive. I have no problems keeping up with SS users are their normal speeds, and consistently have to slow down when diving with other Tekna users, or Gavin users.

Also included:
-travel case in decent shape, one side is slightly cracked but it works fine.
-simple 2x4 cradle
-extra port plug incase you lose the first one

Scooter is basically brand new. Works great, only selling because I need something with more battery :) The burn time on this scooter is great due to the new batteries, but I need the burn time of a UV26.

I'd love to sell this for $1000. Considering it's basically a brand new Tekna, and it cost me that much to get in to this shape, I feel that's a fair price. Shipping would probably be atleast $50, and would be on your dime.

Scooter is currently in Gainesville, Fl, and can move to High Springs, Alachua, Lake City, Orlando or anywhere in between those areas, without much difficulty.

In this picture, it is the Tekna closest to the camera.
4304394583_bf90493153.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom