Compressed air mid-freedive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5ata:
I got to thinking about this while at my divemaster class tonight. When diving at those depths, freedivers flood their sinuses as well to reduce any airspace having to be equalized. Trying to breath off of a compressed gas could cause problems with trying to control the effects of clearing out the sinuses - but since I have no ambitrion to dive that deep, I'm not going to worry about it.. :wink:

Yah, flooding your sinuses is way beyond anything I am willing to do while chasing after a fish. Do you have any problems with sinus infections after flooding with saline?

~Marlinspike

I personally don't flood my sinuses, although I do Neti my sinuses during the allergy season up here in Oregon. I use a solution of boiled water with kosher salt dissolved in the hot water. I let it cool and then use it as needed. It is a strange sensation at first, but I have excellent airway control so it isn't a big deal. When I was training with Aharon Solomons and Nico Danan in January at the Blue Hole in New Mexico, they did the Neti ritual every morning first thing. I have since started doing it and it does help with keeping sinuses clear of excess mucous - especially during pool training. I have heard flooding the sinuses in salt water is not as bad as fresh water... I haven't heard of any issues with infection - That would probably depend on the local conditions - ie; pollution, etc...

the feeling of flooding your sinus has to be totally messed up. I dont think i could handle it. HAHA.

The feeling isn't too bad if it is sea water and is warmer. When I do my Neti pot, the water is close to body temp (high 80's low 90's) and as long as the water has salt in it, the only feeling is that of feeling it trickle in and getting used to the feeling. I saw someone try flooding their sinuses in fresh water that was only around 60 degrees and he couldn't do it - said it burned and gave him an ice cream headache.

The salinity seems to aleviate the burning sensation.

5ata:
The feeling isn't too bad if it is sea water and is warmer. When I do my Neti pot, the water is close to body temp (high 80's low 90's) and as long as the water has salt in it, the only feeling is that of feeling it trickle in and getting used to the feeling. I saw someone try flooding their sinuses in fresh water that was only around 60 degrees and he couldn't do it - said it burned and gave him an ice cream headache.

The salinity seems to aleviate the burning sensation.
I have been doing sinus/nasal rinses twice a day for two years now. No discomfort and it clears and moistens the sinuses really well.....just don't be shocked at what all comes out.:D

Okay... So what I gather from this (and some medical training) is:

1. The balloon of air in her chest was inhaled at 1 atm. and now that she has descended 500 ft or over 15 atm.; the volume of gas in her chest has been reduced to 1/15 of it's original volume/size. Introducing a compressed mixture of any gas would reinflate her lungs too rapidly, if she could even inhale.

2. The dive profile of the lone support diver would not have been able to piggyback her to the next support diver due to required deco stops and gas supply.

3. I gather that tech divers do not breathe off the same % of O2 in their mix at that depth; it is much less than at the surface (if I am incorrect i apologize). It would have been difficult to ascend(and exhale) with the lowered partial pressure of O2 and remain conscious. As well as the inherent complications of trimix at shallower depths.

It has already been stated that this death was the result of improper planning and possible negligence; faulty equipment and inadequate support.

I would like to offer my condolences to the freediving community but I feel we have all benefitted from this thread. We (SCUBA) have attempted to open our minds to a sport that appears so simple to us, but is in no way physiologically less dangerous.

Ive heard of this chick before and have learned a great deal in concepts of diving that I was always curious about, sadly, at her expense. But I think that is great becuase I bet others have as well. Other general lessons like accidents will happen, minimizing risk through planning, and dont act like an arrogant douche-bag in a message board were discussed well. The former is something I admit what kept me reading along lol. I rarely chime into these internet boards but I owe many thanks to those who decided to put their knowledge in here... especially when its not a refereral to a book or an ego. Sometimes we simply DO NOT KNOW as impossible it is to admit that.

And what with the bloods and the crypts thing goin on between scuba and freedivers? I didn't realize I had to enlist and take pictures of myself in a pool to perform these activities... do I have to grow a cheesy moustache too? Just kiddin dude.

I skydive too (well, not in a while), that must make me like the anti-christ of water divers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom