Compressed neoprene sock or Standard boot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K9Pig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting ready to order my Pinnacle EVO 2 drysuit. Please help me with incite/decision on standard vulcanized rubber outer, 5mm neoprene lined boots or the compressed neoprene sock and buying Pinnacle's drysuit boots? Pros & Cons. I wear a Size 13 street shoe. Thanks for the feedback.

K9Pig:police:

I believe that the drysuit usually comes with the boots attached to it as one piece. So I prefer the compressed neoprene.

I like the "socks" as they allow me to wear different footwear for different conditions. For a rocky entry, I wear "rock boot" lace-up shoe-like footwear and Turtles. For a boat dive, I might wear some zip-up neoprene booties over the drysuit socks and my XL Jets. One of these days, I'll pick up some Chuck Taylors and go all stylish into Converse land. :D

Oh, and it packs up more nicely without boots attached, eh? :biggrin:

I like the "socks" as they allow me to wear different footwear for different conditions. For a rocky entry, I wear "rock boot" lace-up shoe-like footwear and Turtles. For a boat dive, I might wear some zip-up neoprene booties over the drysuit socks and my XL Jets. One of these days, I'll pick up some Chuck Taylors and go all stylish into Converse land. :D

Oh, and it packs up more nicely without boots attached, eh? :biggrin:

I couldn't agree with you more

I just got my suit w/ socks and already had the Cons waiting, sized larger (an idea gifted by others <Gillty>).

I added insulation & tried em on, fit great, laced up nicely and most importantly... fit my regular and favorite fins! No need to purchase another, larger set. It takes a bit more to insert the Chucks due to those rubber toes against the fins rubber, but they do fit! I feel the rubber to rubber connection is somehow reassuring that strap, spring or not, those fins aren't going anywhere w/out some deliberate effort. The latex socks on my USIA DS fit comfortably.

The Chuck Taylor All Star Converse continues to prove itself uniquely useful:14:

I got the molded boots, and have not had any problem with them, but I do agree that the suit does not pack well with them on it. Be VERY careful about the sizing of the Pinnacle feet. My understanding is that the molded boots require that you go up one size, or possibly more. I wear an 11 shoe, and had to go with a 12 molded boot to be able to wear multiple layers of socks. I do NOT know how the sizing runs on the neo socks. This sizing issue has been a HUGE PITA for the Shop, with multiple suits being returned because of boot sizing problems.

You'll hear a lot of bantering on both sides of this one.

Although molded boot suits don't fold up as nicely, you'll never worry about forgetting your Rockboots/Chuck Taylor's at home. The "socks" can get pinholes in them because of sand and small rocks abrading between the sock and the Rockboot, or because you walked around with just the socks on and stepped on something.

"Socks" are more of a one size fits all thing, although if grossly oversized the folds/wrinkles will be uncomfortable. The varying size of the footwear might require you to have more than one pair of fins (Rockboots vs. Chuck Taylors vs. Wetsuit booties).

I prefer molded boots (DV boots). I've seen a lot of socks leak on rental suits.

Back
Top Bottom