Compressor and cascade system help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yogi6407

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am starting to look for a used compressor and cascade system, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Survival Air Systems in Lake Jackson, TX has some Mako systems used with very very low hours for a very reasonable price. One of these is currently located not too far from you. Give Gary or Dianne a call at 979-299-3399 or 979-236-8402.

This is where I got my compressor and we wound up getting the cascade system when we picked up the compressor. Along with a host of other stuff. Got a sweet deal!

Check price and parts availability on Mako. I heard there might be some issue as to them staying in business---just a rumour

And that rumor was started by the folks that Mako keeps beating on pricing. Mako was just bought by Gardner Denver, one of the largest industrial compressor manufacturers in the world. I'd be way more worried about getting parts from the also-rans.

Thanks guys! I thought that we had found a system but it sold. I am still open to suggestions but am unable to buy a new system.

Yogi, it would help to know how much system you want, and what your ballpark price range is. If you ware setting up to fill your own cylinders in the garage, you would need a lot less system than if you are opening a dive shop. Do you want trimix and nitrox CB capability? Do you want auto drains? are you handy with a wrench? Do you have 3 phase power available or just single phase? Will you trailer mount this and take it on the road, or will it be a fixed installation?

Help a brother out here.

We are not looking to start a scuba shop but are part of a club and would like to be able to supply air as often as we can. We will be using it in an out building that does not have 3phase power. It will have to be single phase. I am thinking that we want a minimum 6 cfm but would prefer 8 or higher. We also would like to get a cascade system consisting of at least 4 4500psi cascade tanks, more would be better. I understand that we may have to get the compressor first and then the cascade system later but we are looking to try to keep it under $10000 complete. From what I am seeing,this may be a tall order. We are Nitrox certified so this would be a benifit to be able to mix. I am handy with a wrench, forklift mechanic so I would not be scared to work on one if needed. Lastly, we would keep the compressor in an out building and put the cascade system in a trailer that we have. Thank you for your input!

Used cylinders are within $10 price of new ones. I've been waiting for the right deal myself. Smoking hot deals come about very rarely unless you're willing to go with 3600PSI cylinders. For 4500 PSI cylinders you just need to be in the right place at the right time, like when you see the Eagle, Bauer, or Mako guy at the local firehouse trading out their 4500 PSI system for a 6000 PSI one. Even so, you should be able to get 4 of those cylinders for about $12 to $1500, leaving $8500 for a compressor. $8500 buys a lot of compressor, especially in the 6-8 CFM range. You can get a brand new Coltri for that price, and once you get a price for the Coltri, you can get a Bauer or Mako dealer to match it. I just saw an older Bauer K-15 on another board for $2500, but that really wants a 15 HP motor, which would be hellishly expensive for single phase. Here is a smoking deal on a trailer all set up for you. You just need to talk the guy down $950..... Those ASME cylinders are worth their weight in gold. They never need hydro...

Back
Top Bottom