Compressor Recommendations 4 small dive shop PLEASE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globalmark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

I am Looking at setting up a new Guesthouse Based Dive shop in the Maldives and need a Compressor - Mid sized approx 40 tanks Max per day I will fill 200Bar (3000psi) , min 2 whips (prefer 4 whips), Prefer auto Drain (but manual will work) - I don't need all that Moisture detector or Electronic Bits (usually they Break in places like the Maldives).
Electric Stationary Type Compressor.
Prefer Bauer or Coltrisub as they have dealers in the Maldives so easy for spares and Service.

Any and all recommendations Appriciated
Thanks mark

I have had my Bauer for 27 years. It has been kept up pretty good, just came back from a major overhauling after 27 yeras and it still pumps the air I need. It was expensive in 1985, but it is still pumping.

Just my 2 cents,
Jim

Hi jim

Yes I like Bauer myself , however I am looking for more info on what size, model, type and even prices. so if anyone out there has some knowledge that would be great

Like most other people, I like Bauer. There are a lot of factors to consider, not the least of which is the local electrical supply, will 3 phase power be available at your site? If not then (unless you want to deal with complicated and expensive variable frequency drives, or phase converters) you will be limited to about 7.5 HP on a single phase motor. On a modern compressor this will limit you to around 9 or 10 CFM, assuming standard 80's starting from 300-500 psi your fill requirements will be about 70 cu ft per tank. With a single fill whip this would give you a fill time of around 7 minutes per tank which falls into a generally acceptable range to avoid excess heating, of course here the slower the better. Of course basic math tells us 40 tanks at 7 minutes per tank = 280 minutes, or about 4.5 hours per day filling tanks, perhaps broken into 2 or more sessions depending on if this is to supply morning and afternoon dives, etc. Having a single compressor in a dive resort setting is a recipe for disaster in my opinion, a far better set up would be to have a pair of matched compressors in operation, which are large enough that a single compressor could handle your load in case of an emergency with extended hours. I personally would not consider manual drains in this application, as they require someone to be at the compressor and attentive for 3-5 hours per day, one distraction at the wrong time, and bad things happen.

If it were me I would plan on a setup with 2 compressors each somewhere between 7.5 - 10 CFM feeding a common fill manifold with 6 to 8 fill whips, this would allow for slower tank fills and ease the work load on whoever is doing the fills and let them multi task (it is easier to connect 8 tanks every half hour, than 2 every 7 minutes), yet still provide reasonable supervision of the running compressors.

Ike

p.s. I don't know the local dive profiles, etc, but if they are typical of most recreational dive sites I would strongly suggest designing your system with the intention of offering Nitrox in the near future, as this seems to be a go or no go issue for more and more people.

I am about to buy a small compressor as well. Bauer seems to have the best reputation.
But Coltri Mch-6 costs just half of it. I google a lot for people with problems on it and it seems that it works very reliable (note: not my experience, just internet search). One point is that it has 4 stages instead of 3, so less load per stage.
It seems sometimes it is sold with pressure maintaining valve sometimes without. I buy it without and add that myself.
It is slow, but cheap....

I would look around for a newish Bauer Mariner with a P41 filtration system.

If you are buying new, look at the new Bauer Mariner 320 with an electric engine and a P41 filtration tower.

I ran three mariners in tandem for more than 10 years working 6-8 hours a day continously, with almost no problems apart from the basic maintainance.

The only thing I changed from standard was the P21 Triplex filter tower to a P41 Tower which just increases your filtration capacity, and time between filter changes. Although the new P31 triplex tower is very good as well.

I agree, you dont need the Securis system or auto drains, when working in a remote location (like you and I) the less componants which can fail the better.

I dont think theres much to consider, keep it basic and reliable, power it with a good three phase motor, and change the filtration to a bigger tower.

In my mind the new Mariners fit the job perfectly. :D

I am about to buy a small compressor as well. Bauer seems to have the best reputation.
But Coltri Mch-6 costs just half of it. I google a lot for people with problems on it and it seems that it works very reliable (note: not my experience, just internet search). One point is that it has 4 stages instead of 3, so less load per stage.
It seems sometimes it is sold with pressure maintaining valve sometimes without. I buy it without and add that myself.
It is slow, but cheap....

This compressor is totally inadequate for a shop environment. It is no way a continuous duty machine and should not be run for hours at a time. You might keep searching around they have their issues like any bit of machinery: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...nding-systems/262785-coltri-mch6-unseize.html

This compressor is totally inadequate for a shop environment. It is no way a continuous duty machine and should not be run for hours at a time. You might keep searching around they have their issues like any bit of machinery: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...nding-systems/262785-coltri-mch6-unseize.html

Sorry I read the original posting wrong...Somehow I read 40 tanks per month :idk:
don't know why.....
yes for 40 per day it is complete inadequate! You are right I am wrong:shakehead:

Think about your bank in addition to your compressor. Can you scrounge some large(r) steel tanks that will be good to 2000+ psi?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom