Computers for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob'o

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all so im about to start my DM internship and need to purchase my first dive computer been looking at the mares smart and quad can't quite decide. If anyone has experience with these or have any recommendations in the same sort of price range £300 max would be appreciated

just read about algorithms before you decide what you are going to get. Get a computer with an algorithm that matches your needs. I don't know about mares specifically, but it shows an rgbm algorithm which has a reputation of conservatism. Not sure if I would want a conservative computer working as a dm.

If acting as a professional I would certainly get one that doesn't lock you out in the event of a "violation".

If acting as a professional I would certainly get one that doesn't lock you out in the event of a "violation".
I'm not a DM but I'm curious how DM's normally do it. Certainly they have to be up against lockouts often, I don't think I've ever seen a shearwater on the arm of a working DM.

There's no special requirement for beginner computers, all computers are suitable for a beginner, and for virtually all rec diving; not all are suitable for tech diving.

But as a DM, if you intend to actually work as one, you'd want a tech-style computer. A large bright display is useful, because there will be times you want others to see it. Tech computers also allow you more control over conservatism and don't lock you out.

That lockout is only a "safety" feature for people only concerned with their own safety - once anyone else's safety is considered, the equation changes, and lockouts only make things worse. Aside from forced deco situations, even strictly within NDL, if as a working DM you have to sit out a day for a violation, it might mean 10 divers per DM instead of 5 for that day, compromising their safety.

I think a used Petrel can be picked up for £300.

I don't think I've ever seen a shearwater on the arm of a working DM

I certainly have (Key Largo, Florida - Rainbow Reef Divers).

I agree with @GlennL.

If I'm the customer, I would not be happy if I had to get out early because my DM's computer was more conservative than my own.

If I'm the DM, I would not want to have to get out before my customers were ready because my computer said to, even though theirs didn't.

When I am working as a DM, I don't normally use my Perdix in pool sessions, but I do use it when I'm DM'ing for classes at the local quarry. The viz in the quarry is bad enough that I want the readability of my Perdix screen there. I was in the quarry last Sunday with some students doing AOW dives. On the deep dive, the viz was so bad I would have had no chance of reading my other computer that has a black-and-white LCD display.

The Perdix or Perdix AI would be an excellent choice but is well outside your budget.

Barring that, I would consider an Oceanic Geo. That should be within your budget and has one of the most liberal algorithms available.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, you might want to check with the shop you're to be taking DM or working with. I've read many many times that professionals are often required to use only specific gear that their shop sells when they are working. It would probably suck to have to buy two computers if they do have such a requirement.

Now that I think about it, you might want to check with the shop you're to be taking DM or working with. I've read many many times that professionals are often required to use only specific gear that their shop sells when they are working. It would probably suck to have to buy two computers if they do have such a requirement.

This very much is the case. Check with the shop you will be working for and see what computer they "push". Thankfully my shop carries the Shearwater line so my Perdix is right in line with the shops desires. Most shops WILL carry more than one brand though and they should also be able to get you keyman pricing. So don't buy anything until you speak with your shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom