computers & tables: split from ow vs aow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
DORSETBOY:
That's true if the way it's taught is crap, otherwise it's not. Same goes for all courses.

For the nitrox course in particular once you've done the course you should be able to plan your diving to take into account the extra factors that diving on nitrox brings, eg. your O2 exposure after a series of dives. On each dive you should be able to plan the dive taking into account the O2 blend you are using.

My puter will tell me my O2 load. My dive planner on the puter will help too.

Yes, your pooter will indicate your O2 load, but suppose it craps out.
Don't worry, we're going to work you through this one.
When you get through with this course, you'll be a walking freaking EAN??? slide rule.
Oh, I forgot, you probably don't know what a slide rule is. Damn, I'm getting old . . .
and plan to get older, that's why I study my tables !!!!

Had to get that last dig in, Pilot.

The Kraken:
Yes, your pooter will indicate your O2 load, but suppose it craps out.
Don't worry, we're going to work you through this one.
When you get through with this course, you'll be a walking freaking EAN??? slide rule.
Oh, I forgot, you probably don't know what a slide rule is. Damn, I'm getting old . . .
and plan to get older, that's why I study my tables !!!!

Had to get that last dig in, Pilot.

Again, thanks for your help, If my puter craps put I'll use my back up.

another thing to bear in mind is that if you dont have a basic understanding of the theory then how do you know whether or not what your computer's telling you is correct?

DORSETBOY:
another thing to bear in mind is that if you dont have a basic understanding of the theory then how do you know whether or not what your computer's telling you is correct?

yeah, I have no problem with the theory but I don't want to feel like I working at Bleachly Park breaking the Inigma code.

So did I, but I've been bashing you enough in the p/m's that I didn't think you needed any more abuse today.

DORSETBOY:
That's true if the way it's taught is crap, otherwise it's not. Same goes for all courses.

For the nitrox course in particular once you've done the course you should be able to plan your diving to take into account the extra factors that diving on nitrox brings, eg. your O2 exposure after a series of dives. On each dive you should be able to plan the dive taking into account the O2 blend you are using.

I have a computer for that, and wouldn't dive repetatively without one.

MOD doesn't take a calculator to figure out.

10 dives in one day is the most I've ever done.

I'm not gonna do all that math.

I carry tables, too, never use them.

I haven't put a pencil to paper in regards to Nitrox diving since the class.

I got my nitrow cert in OW, blender's cert (Nitrox) 2 months later.

I have blending chart cards, and several programs.

But I don't do any formulas, nor have I seen anyone else, in 1000 dives, or around thousands of divers.

DORSETBOY:

Like you're gonna troubleshoot the algorithm on the boat?

I can't even balance a checkbook.

I'd get a computer that I trust.

Back
Top Bottom