Conception Captain Found Guilty of Manslaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding the fact that captain left the ship with passengers still alive and trapped, I think that this alone was an action deserving the verdict.
If he had no way to know they were still alive and at that point the fire was so great that he could have done nothing to save them even had he known, sticking around would've helped no one. What you describe with the Costa Concordia sounds different. In the case of the Conception, negligence beforehand was the key issue.

^^^This^^^

Although they weren't all a-holes. I've met many lifelong friends diving.

The true answer is that I opened up Cuba for American Flagged commercial passenger vessels. I worked for 10 years to obtain an ABS Load Line on a 40 year old existing vessel, successfully, and I performed all of the engineering and drafting except the hydrostatics. I am a marine and nuclear engineer, not a naval architect. I was the first commercial US passenger vessel to legally make a voyage to Cuba since 1962. I made 2 trips and had 6 on the books, and I was killing it.

Like many Captains, I'm a bit of an arrogant prick. I had an in in Cuba, and all of the support I could ever want if I only followed their rules. As stated, I am a bit of a prick, and I also made some cultural faux pas that I could not recover from. I had been told how to act, but again, I am a bit of an arrogant prick.

I sold my boat for far more than I paid for it, and sold it in Cuba where she is being used exactly for the purpose she was best at, carrying out diving research in one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean. I have no regrets, I had the best job in the world for 20 years.
Ha Ha Ha! Love it.
Yup, me too. A certain amount of arrogance is required for any high responsibility role.
I was Captain on the Tall Ship Dream (replica of an 1850 US Coastguard Schooner, belonged to the owner of Lee/Wrangler jeans) at 27 years old. I was supposed to be the Mate/Engineer, but the skipper got fired a month after I joined and the owner asked me to take over, I’d only had my license six months, never had command of anything so big or complex and should have declined the offer. Best two years of my life, being Errol Flynn, swashing my buckle across the Eastern Med and Aegean.
I wasn’t a Nuke, though I did the course at HMS Sultan. Nuke for us meant exclusively sub surface and I wanted to see the world, so I went Gas Turbines instead. Still arrogant, if slightly more polite about it in my old age.

I was not a nuke - qualified on 600 pound steam.

Was US Navy Spec Ops/Diving/Salvage.

Nukes are 600# steam guys with twidget training.

Nothing to write home about.

I qualified Gas Turbines (RR) and my first ship was steam…
Because the Navy is the Navy regardless of the Flag you sail under…🤣
Ships Diver, so “commercial” stuff, not EOD. Failed medical for Selection (eyesight) so ended up in a “support” role. Left in ‘96 but dragged back in in 2021 because of the cable/pipeline threat . Got out again last year as just too old for that ****/those people/the Ministry of Defence. 1996, 2000 (Merchant Navy) and 2021.
Ok, way OT now. Sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_2936.jpeg
    IMG_2936.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0738.jpeg
    IMG_0738.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 47
  • b0594b3f-f702-49cd-924a-9c3a8173b8f8.jpeg
    b0594b3f-f702-49cd-924a-9c3a8173b8f8.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 41
Navy paddle steamer, huh?