Concerns about Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am amazed we are still getting these queries. None of the dive resorts in Fiji have been affected in any safety way by the political situation in Fiji.

Let me first say that I have looked at all the available information form past visitors and government travel recommendations (Australian and US) and personally, I see no reason to change my travel plans. I'm looking forward to a great trip to Fiji in the next few weeks.

As for MatavaFiji's post:

The world is full of locations that many westerners are best not to travel due to political or social unrest that could jeopardize safety. There are many places I would not want to travel in the Middle East or Africa until times are more peaceful. I think it is perfectly natural to respond to dissolution of a judicial system and constitution with the question "Is this a safe place for a recreational visit?". Based on what I have heard, Stuart is correct that no real changes that affect resorts or tourism have occurred. I started this thread because I did not know that several months ago and hoped to get more information.

As an aside, Stuart, there is some conflict of interest in your statements. Your listed as located in Fiji and as a resort owner. If the Fijian government were watching what people say, as they seem to have been watching what the press has to say, I hesitate to completely trust the comments of someone inside the country. I don't know if its the case or not but, you may not want to speak ill of conditions for fear of some reprisal from the government. Also in your specific case, you have a financial stake in continued tourism, so you would be less likely to advise people against a visit. This is why I base my decision on travelers who have been there in the past and the government travel recommendations of other countries. These two groups have less vested interest in a clean bill of health, so to say.

I'm not tying to pick a fight, but it's helpful to address the concerns of potential clients, rather than be "amazed" that they would ask such a question. I think the initial question was well within legitimate concerns of a rational person. Not to mention, as you can read most posts in this thread are very positive towards the conditions in Fiji, or lack thereof.

I too was in Fiji several years ago during one of the "coups" There was no inconvenice at all except there was check post at the Airport going in and out and in all towns. There is a Check post at LAX and people continue fly out of LAX.

The people in Fiji are very friendly and it is the safest country I have been in.

At Nadi town, I have seen women and children standing wait for the bus at night. How many big American cities are that safe.

Last edited:
I was in Fiji last October and would urge anyone to go dive there and not worry about their safety anymore than anywhere else. The Fijians are some of the most friendly and welcoming people I have ever met.

I and six family members are headed back in August for two weeks of diving. I have been there in 2006 and 2007 during coup 4.0; I think this is now coup 4.8.

I have been watching the local news there for years and have no concerns about going. This is a very safe place. The only thing that upsets me is the control of the media. I have posted links to the sites I watch on a regular basis.

Government Censored Sites
Fiji Times Online - Fiji News, Sport and Weather from the pages of The Fiji Times
FijiVillage.com - Fiji's home on the world wide web
Fiji Daily Post - Fiji's Breaking News, Coup Update, Headlines, Local, Business, Sports, Photo Gallery, Classifieds, Editorial, Comments, Opinions, Archives, Weekly Poll, Letters, Information, Free Registration
FBCL: Fiji Broadcasting Corporation Limited - Fiji News, Fiji Sports News, International News, Live Radio, DJ Chat, Blogs. Broadcasting Fiji to the World

Non-Censored but a bit political
Raw Fiji News
Fiji Democracy Now

The big problem for travel right now is the H1N1 that Fiji is watching on incoming passengers very close. They now have 10 cases that they think originated from New Zealand or Australia. If they suspect you are sick, they have set up quarantine spots to hold the incoming visitor until the tests come back. The flight and passenger ships crews have been trained recently; to look for passengers that might be sick and notify local authorities. In the case of passenger ships, those people are not allowed to disembark until tested negative. The sick airline passengers are placed in quarantine at a local hotel until tests show them negative.

Air Pacific is disinfecting all flights and is taking steps onboard to prevent spread of germs.

I am going to take some hand sanitizer for the flight and that is about it.

I have been living in Fiji for the last three years. The streets in NY are more dangerous. The diving is great and the water is warm!

I'm interested in if M_Bipartitus did indeed fly to Fiji in June, and if so, what are his thoughts on his concerns of the 'situation' after his visit?
I will be leaving August 6 with seven in our party returning August 22. I will post a trip report on all the activities above and below. I will be in Suva and Nadi for at least a day each. I would not be going unless I felt safe. The only thing I fear is the locals driving habits on the highway.

Just back yesterday from 9 days in Fiji, Beqa Island, and there is absolutely nothing to worry about!! We never saw anything out of the ordinary on the 3 hour drive from Nadi to Pacific Island coming or going -- except a few cows that apparently are used as roadside mowers. :D

Not sure what the "flu" alert mentioned in the earlier post is all about. Air Pacific wasn't doing anything on our two flights, there was a small pamphlet handed out with the entry form, but nothing else. And the immigration at Nadi, to get into Fiji was a piece of cake.

No worries absolutely. My other half will post a trip report on the diving soon. I can only vouch that the snorkeling was the best I've ever done. Fiji is awesome and I highly recommend it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom