Condensation Problem - Canon S100 with Canon UW Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stronj1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Canon S100 with the Canon u/w housing and had some problems with condensation forming inside the housing towards the end of some dives recently. The result is a fog for the lens and cloudy photos. I had ordered some silicate packets that were supposed to work with the housing but couldn't fit them inside the housing. Therefore I have not been using anything to absorb moisture. Is it that I haven't figure out where they should go? What does everyone else use?

Here are a few tips: Don't use the silicate packets. I saw someone flood their Canon camera/housing because the packet had become wet, and the crystals leaked out, got on to the O-ring and caused a flood.

Instead, use Moisture munchers: Moisture Muncher Capsules | Sealife Cameras
They are compact and there should be room in you housing to put one. Replace them when they are spent (there is a color indicator)

Put your camera in its housing when you are in a cool room with low humidity. i.e., with air-conditioning. Avoid opening the housing in a warm humid environment. Don't let your camera/housing get hot, i.e., don't leave it out in the sun. Wrap it in a towel, in a shaded area, or in it's own rinse tank if possible on way to dive site.

If you follow these tips, you shouldn't have any problems with fog in your housing. :)

I agree with the approach of prevention as opposed to symptom treatment. I do not use any kind of desiccant. Never had a problem underwater with 5 different housings.

Do not subject the camera to temp / humidity extremes. Going from a cold a/c room to direct hot sun to coolish water is bad.

Only time I ever had condensation issues was with a clear plastic cannon housing on board a snorkel trip that sat in direct sun light. The housing heated up and caused condensation while above water before snorkeling.

On a live aboard my camera lives sealed in its housing outside on the dive deck camera table covered by a towel out of direct sun light. Land based, i wrap the housed camera in a towel and place it well away from the a/c in a sheltered corner (or often on the non a/c bathroom floor).

If I think there may be too much sun exposure (like waiting on the dock for a day boat) I will immerse the housed camera in a cool rinse tank - but ensure the rinse tank has not been heated to bathtub temp by the sun.

Desiccants are a treatment. Focus on prevention.

+1 prevention.

Assemble in aircon room (if in the tropics), keep it out of sunlight while on the boat. Don't open the housing unless you really, really need to. Even then- don't open it.

The SeaLife Moisture Munchers can be used effectively in the Canon housing. There are two interior plastic 'protusions' that can be used to effectively and safely to hold them in place without danger of flooding the housing.

Thanks for the info!

+1 prevention.

Assemble in aircon room (if in the tropics), keep it out of sunlight while on the boat. Don't open the housing unless you really, really need to. Even then- don't open it.

This

You can't get condensation if there's no (or very little) moisture in the housing to condense

I just had the same thing happen with my S100 on a dive, though I'm sure it would have happened with any camera and/or any housing. Luckily no damage and no ruined shots as the condensation was around the edges of the front glass. On the dive boat the camera bucket was crowded and between dives my unit sat on the boat deck. Obviously it got warm enough that when I hit the water the sudden temp change caused the condensation. For me it's lesson learned; keep the camera equipment in a cool place if you can't keep it in the bucket.

I've started to make it a habit on dive boats to never keep the camera in a bucket. I will do a minute or two soak and then remove the camera, wrap it in a towel and put it in a safe place out of the sun. There is an increased chance of the camera housing being damaged while bobbing around in a rinse bucket, especially an overcrowded one. A more complete rinse and soak can then be done at the end of the day.

I usually bring mine in something like this:
cooler.jpg

Depending on the size of your camera, these work really well and they're cheap as chips at the supermarket. Remember that 'wet' salt water is not a problem for the housing- it's when the salt water dries and subsequently crystalises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom