Conditions in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm heading to Key Largo the weekend after thanksgiving. Anybody have an update on conditions? Any issues from Sandy?

I always follow what's going on in Key Largo...both with the weather and sea life...through Rainbow Reef Dive Center's social tools. Their website has current weather information as well as live web cams:

Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

If you "Like" them on Facebook, you will have access to their daily postings which include lots of fun information about the daily dives, what was seen that day, what the weather is like or expected to be like in addition to photos and videos of interesting subjects of the day. I like the way Bridget explains things about the creatures they see in the waters of Key Largo. I enjoy learning new things about the underwater world!

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Rainbow.Reef.Dive.Center?fref=ts

was there yesterday 80'+ vis, flat seas, and very little current. Prob goin back next weekend cause ft laudy vis is still kinda iffy

The reefs appear no worse for the wear from Sandy, but there was a little bit of breakage from Isaac. The reefs are still lovely and special and always a treat to dive.
Here is the local weather tower link:
NDBC - Station MLRF1

Additionally you can also follow daily reef reports here:
Ocean Divers on Facebook
Conch Republic Diver's and Horizon Diver's on-line booking calenders (Scubaocity)

Thankfully, we've managed to have a fairly decent Fall this year with many more great days than weathered out days. Last year in 2011, we managed to get weathered out more than half the weekends in Sept, Oct, & Nov.
Weather is a hard thing to predict more than a couple days out...and it's just that...predictions, which have been know to be wrong.

Come prepared to dive, but have some back-up plans like visiting Key West or the Everglades just in case there is a day or 2 of "sporty" seas.

Thanks all....

Elena, I come every year at Thanksgiving. In-laws in Naples so I bring the family down then take a couple days to dive (and get away from the in-laws :) ) Last year was rough, but I got a couple trips in. Hoping for a little better this year, but if not...whatever....last warmth before the Iowa winter sets in.

For Key Largo and other sites around the state.

You can use our new Flash Application DiveRadar.

It not only shows dive sites location as it relates to the dive shop, but also dive conditions from dive operators both current and past and future dives scheduled for these dive centers.
Mobile app for Apple, Android, and Blackberry is currently being worked on so you will be able to take this information with you.

Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• DiveRadarLogoIconCorrectSize.jpg
    DiveRadarLogoIconCorrectSize.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 390
I'm heading to Key Largo the weekend after thanksgiving. Anybody have an update on conditions? Any issues from Sandy?

One thing worth noting is that the NOAA NDBC program is the benchmark for the weather here in the Keys and most of all the other websites, apps, etc you see out there get their data from it.

However, its rarely accurate more than a few days out.

Fall weather in the Keys is a pattern of cold fronts with short periods of 'normal' between them. They start off being about a 10 days apart and get closer as you get into winter. The trick is to arrive in town on the back end of a front and dive before the next one comes in :)

Let me know if you can find a weatherman with a webiste that can predict it :wink:

Great point brought up by Chris about the accuracy of NOAA's weather reporting. DiveRadar doesn't predict the weather just reports what the dive operator logged in for their dive conditions for the dive they just dove.
Play it smart and look at NOAA and the real-time weather conditions reported by the dive operators on DiveRadar. This should give you a good outlook on the weather and the trends for the area or dive site you're wanting to dive.

Good Diving,

I am going to Long Key in January for two months. The last time I went to the Keys in the winter (2008), I had an awful time getting shops to go out, it was to rough or to cold or not the minimum needed. that was in Key Largo. I am going further south this times in hope of being able to dive what my budget will allow, I am semi retired now. I have been going to Cozumel since but only for a few weeks and got a lot of diving in with Scuba Mau, now Opal's Dream. Long story but great people with a very unfortunate accident!!!!! Does anyone have suggestions for a dive shop that I should contact. I did dive with Hall's in Marathon a lot of years ago, 70's early 80's, but I am looking for a shop that has dive master's that actually go in the water with you. I have been diving since 1973 and well over a thousand dives, so I am not looking for a baby sitter but someone that will point out the idiosycracies of the reef that you are on, if you are not familiar with an area you can miss a lot. I always had my daughter's as dive buddies, two were certified at 12, the first was certified in 1983, I did a lot of diving with Mike and crew at the Tavernier Dive Shop until he closed, in the warmer months. I prefer the smaller boats of six but I realize that beggars can not be choosey when it means getting wet or not. We are staying at the Fiesta Key R.V Resort from middle of Jan to middle of March and would appreciate any suggestions.
If I am correct, Marathon is the closest Key to where I will be.

Thank you,
Jim Shuff, Freedom NH

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom