conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbg40

Contributor
Reaction score
Gonna try to do a dive at Wetherell tomorrow I guess. Any advice on what I will find as far as conditions go?

Dave we dove Weekapaug point last night with 2 foot rollers coming in and a good surge. 90 min dive; we got out at 11 pm. We were surrounded by trigger fish hard at work with thier jack-hammers. I was looking for a sign warning of Contruction Area. The clicking noise was practically deafening at times.

The vis was 30 ft + in some areas. We had such a great dive something bad had to happen.

dbg40:
Gonna try to do a dive at Wetherell tomorrow I guess. Any advice on what I will find as far as conditions go?
Please report on how conditions are at Wetherill since I plan on going there Sunday with my family for the first time, hopefully to see some tropicals. I was wondering how this storm system has stirred things up.

Well, did anyone go to Wetherill Saturday???:confused:

I was going to shock everyone and show up for some cold water dives. I brought my tanks to the LDS Friday and guess what.....needed VIPs....

It looked so nice Sat. I almost wish I had rented tanks.

So where's the report?

Hey John, Yeah, me an Karp went. Got there at slack, LOTS o students, and unfortunately,,boats. Vis was ok, maybe 10' or so went in the right cove and up the left wallto the point where we hit that seemingly constant rip, which worked the hell out of us. Then hooked around the point to come back into the left cove. Vis was about 3' to 0' , had some nut try to run me over with a spear gun closer to the shore exit. I have no idea what he was doing,but whatever it was, he was determined to do it. Saw two little bugs, bunch of taotaug, and 4 little flats. Second dive, went into the right cove, went straight across to the other side, and followed the wall to the beach, saw nothing, vis was not too good, too many boats anchored in the cove whipping giant hooks in every direction, so we called it a day. I havent been there in maybe a year, and was surprised at the lack of life. Odd?

dbg40:
Hey John, Yeah, me an Karp went. Got there at slack, LOTS o students, and unfortunately,,boats. Vis was ok, maybe 10' or so went in the right cove and up the left wallto the point where we hit that seemingly constant rip, which worked the hell out of us. Then hooked around the point to come back into the left cove. Vis was about 3' to 0' , had some nut try to run me over with a spear gun closer to the shore exit. I have no idea what he was doing,but whatever it was, he was determined to do it. Saw two little bugs, bunch of taotaug, and 4 little flats. Second dive, went into the right cove, went straight across to the other side, and followed the wall to the beach, saw nothing, vis was not too good, too many boats anchored in the cove whipping giant hooks in every direction, so we called it a day. I havent been there in maybe a year, and was surprised at the lack of life. Odd?

You mean like in Sea Hunt? Sounds exciting... you must have been using your double hose. :D

I got there yesterday, my first visit. I arrived at 2PM and the parking lot was 3/4 full. There were about 3 dive flags that I could see in the right cove. My kids and I dove the right cove, crossed over to the west side, then back to the passage between the point and the island(s). We were going to go around the point and head back along the right wall of the left cove, but my son was cold (in a 7mm, no hood). Instead, we came back along the left wall which provided for some nice starfish and many little fish. It was interesting to travel back along the bottom and come upon the bottom of a wall. No tropicals that I could find. No bugs. Visibility was about 10-12 feet, bottom temps were 68. Many, many shrimp were stuck to us at the end of the dive and met their maker in my fresh water rinse cans back home...

Overall, not a bad area, but it would have to offer more for me to return in the near future, like tropicals. It was a 220 mile round trip. I'd like to dive the left cove too. What can I expect there, apart from low vis? Similar topography? Are the left and right walls similar to the right cove's?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49666720@N00/1103015009/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49666720@N00/1103865346/

Luis H:
You mean like in Sea Hunt? Sounds exciting... you must have been using your double hose. :D

HA! Yup, the maiden flight of the Phoenix! :D It was a little "conservitive" to say the least. and needs a little massage before I attempt to dunk it again.

Damn, sounds sorta crappy...even by wetherill standards.

I'm still wanting to get over to Newport. Maybe in a few weeks.:)

I dove Bulls Point on Sunday, 12 August around noon and had an enjoyable dive even under somewhat compromised visability conditions. Max depth was 77', temp at depth was 64 F, viz was 5-8' with improvement at depth, total dive was 49 minutes. Did see a number of lobsters, flounders, sculpins, large skate, tautogs, small stripers, etc. Did not see any sign of tropicals yet though.

dbg40:
...........had some nut try to run me over with a spear gun closer to the shore exit.............
As I was returning to shore and gently ascending, I ran into 2 nuts with spearguns! I flashed them with my 35 W HID so that they knew there was another diver nearby but don't know if they saw me or not as they had silted up everything so badly that the viz was nill. What a mess these guys were making!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom