Confused Beginner!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsynie:
The best place that I would recommend to dive in Dec - Feb within Malaysia is none other than Sipadan, where you can dive 365 days a year as it is not affected by any Monsoon Season. Furthermore it is also save for a solo female to travel around Malaysia. Please visit www.blahblahblah-sipadan.com for furthe information on the said place, and may also get other related information from the sponsor's link.
You're getting comical billboardboy. Don't you have anything useful to add to the forum, other than adverts for your shop?

elusion:
hey guys just got an awesome offer to do a open water with a liveaboard to the Similans.

It's 2 days land training in Khao Lak followed by 4 days/nights with 13 dives on the liveaboard.

Sounds brilliant but I'm worried if I'll be able to handle the current, depth, have the confidence and stamina for 13 dives. As I'll be only OW certified will the dept of 18m be a limitation?

It seems too good and I really wanna do it but feeling wary about it. Is the Similans manageable for a beginner?

Thanks guys!!

Elusion
With The Similan's being a Nationl Marine Park it is really sad to hear that some dive operations are using these sites for beginner diver training. Apologies, simply my opinion.

You mentioned that you're not certain about the destination of your course, if I can make a suggestion, consider the Philippines. Purto Galera is good at that time, a big group of dive shops to consider and some really pretty stuff in good visibility water.

For my part, I dive with Asiadivers and Techasia (sister company), but I know and can highly recommend people from Atlantis, Frontier, Capt'n Greggs and Lalaguna Beach Club just off the top of my head - PM me if you fancy any more details.

As for a course + liveaboard, sounds great, but if diving's not for you, you're going to be pretty bored on the boat!

BTW I don't work for any of these companies, if anyone was thinking...:05: (more's the pity...)

If you are new to the sea, you might not be able to take the constant motion. If you get sea sick you will hate everything! So beware of Live onboard for your initiation to the undersea world.

thepurplehammerhead:
You mentioned that you're not certain about the destination of your course, if I can make a suggestion, consider the Philippines. Purto Galera is good at that time, a big group of dive shops to consider and some really pretty stuff in good visibility water.

For my part, I dive with Asiadivers and Techasia (sister company), but I know and can highly recommend people from Atlantis, Frontier, Capt'n Greggs and Lalaguna Beach Club just off the top of my head - PM me if you fancy any more details.

As for a course + liveaboard, sounds great, but if diving's not for you, you're going to be pretty bored on the boat!

i'd have to agree...try reading on Puerto Galera, Philippines...lots of good dive ops

...lot's of things to do, just in case you back out of your OW course

Well I'm quite certain that diving is the thing that I want to do...It's a long time dream..am a good swimmer and will be travelling to the location only for the diving.

I'm sort of stuck on to Thailand now since my mum works in the airlines and I'll be getting a discounted ticket so it's more feasible to go to Thailand than any other.

Has anyone got anything concrete opposing doing an OW on a liveaboard?

elusion:
Well I'm quite certain that diving is the thing that I want to do...It's a long time dream..am a good swimmer and will be travelling to the location only for the diving.

I'm sort of stuck on to Thailand now since my mum works in the airlines and I'll be getting a discounted ticket so it's more feasible to go to Thailand than any other.

Has anyone got anything concrete opposing doing an OW on a liveaboard?
Which liveaboard? We just got back from the Sea Dragon and they had OW students who had the time of their lives. The students were diving with us by the 2nd day and although there are some advanced dives in the Similans there are some easier ones too. The Sea Dragon has some great staff too.

Hey Dave,

thanks for the info..it's actually the Dolphin Queen of the Similan Diving Safaris..anyone got any references on them?

I did my OW cert in Phuket earlier this year, it's wonderful diving. I would try to get signed up for OW and AOW on the same liveaboard trip. That way you will be doing 9 of the 13 dives with an instructor, you will get a little deep and navigation experience too. It's not ideal, and many here would argue to wait to do AOW, but I think it would be awkward and a little difficult to just do OW and be "on your own" for the other dives. Your choice of Thailand is A+++ - you will not regret it. January is one of the best months, weatherwise and for diving. And the Similans- most beautiful in the world IMNSHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom