Confusion with 2 diff Sherwood Avid BCD's....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobster75

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Simply put: I'm confused.

2 years ago, I purchased a Sherwood Avid 2004 BCD on-line for a very good price and had been diving with it just fine until last week when my gear bag was stolen while in the virgin islands. It was sold to me as a 2004 Avid w/ CQR1 weight-integration pockets. The BC fabric was completely black, and the weight pockets buckled in towards the rear of the BC. Also, there was no Sherwood "S" logo pressed into the inside of the BC.

So, being very happy w/ the Avid '04 BC, I ordered another Sherwood Avid 2004 BCD w/ CQR1 online from a well-known scuba supplier to replace my stolen BC..

Today my replacement BCD arrived and while I thought I had ordered a direct replacement, I find it's different. It's certainly an Avid BCD, however, the snorkel pocket is at a 45 deg angle, the tops of the jacket flaps are lined with silver/grey fabric, the scubapro "S" logo is pressed into the inside of the BCD back, and the weight pockets buckle in the front.

I don't really care because it is the same BC, just not identical and I know I will be just as happy with this one. But while both were marketed as "Sherwood Avid 2004" BCD's, they are obviously from different model years. So, which is which? My new one was also purchased for a good price (not as good as the first one though), so I'm not complaining. Just curious..... The tags and manuals don't mention the model year on it, just the serial number.

I believe the one you just got is the newer one.

Interesting... then I got the newer version for $130 less than its normal price. I certainly won't complain about that!

Sherwood AVID BCD w/ CQR1 Weight Integration- I guess this is the 2004 model. What is the difference between the CRQ1 and CRQ2? This BC is for sale on DIVEUS.com for $175.. seems like a great deal to me. Is there any reason NOT to buy this?

Sherwood has a minimum advertised price policy. You can't advertise new gear below a certain price. To circumvent that online and ebay sellers will sell "last years gear" for below the Minimum advertised price and send out current year gear. The new avid cqr2 weight pockets are more secure as well. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom