Congratulations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, congradulations. As a new diver I am interested in reading about your ideas as they relate to gear configuration without the condecending tone often found in other forums.

nauidiver2004:
Yes, congradulations. As a new diver I am interested in reading about your ideas as they relate to gear configuration without the condecending tone often found in other forums.

Hey read the TOS, always wanted to say that :wink:

Cool - the Hog forum is up and running . . . tomorrow I go to work at the local HOG shop selling t-shirts . . . maybe a bit different, but still cool. I start my cert Saturday, ordered my hogarthian rig a month ago, but it's not here yet :( one post office day left . . .maybe it'll arrive . . . otherwise guess I'll be learning in a jacket . . . bummer.

Congratulations to those of you who asked for this forum.

I think it was a great idea to create it.

It seems that what people who were asking for this forum really wanted was a place to talk about their Hogarthian gear configurations without the restriction of having to confine their comments to an accurate representation of a specific system like DIR.

After reading through all of the posts here so far, a few stood out for me as something to build upon.

I like OneBrightGator's definition of Bill Hogarth Main's intention and would like to quote it here, so you don't have to look for it.

OneBrightGator:
Hogarthian refers to a minimalist cave diving configuration created by Bill Main with pretty much the only guidelines being take only what you need, and if you need it, bring two. It only covers gear configuration with one broad ideal which can be interpreted many different ways.

I also liked reefraff's comment about the basic tenets, so I'll quote that as well.

reefraff:
Bingo. It's a big tent, there's room inside for everyone so long as they accept the basic tenets: less is more and the sum should be greater than the parts. I'd love to see the DIR guys here, they have a lot to contribute.

I think NWGratefulDiver posted a great link to a bit of background on Hogarthian Gear Configuration written for the National Speleological Society by Jarrod Jablonski when I believe he was a board member for the organization. I also believe that this was written before there was a DIR or GUE. (Someone please correct me if any of this statement is in error.) I believe the article was written by JJ with intellectual honesty and integrity. From what I understand this article captures William Hogarth Main's intent.

NWGratefulDiver:
Here's a link to an article that may contain the info you're looking for ... then again, maybe not ...

http://www.nsscds.com/hogarth.htm

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The quotes and link above seem to begin to establish the spirit of why some people wanted this forum created. I believe that they can become the building blocks for what might be considered appropriate conduct in this forum. Any ideas must be supported with reason and no one should simply answer a question with, "because so-and-so does it this way".

Even JJ says that the Hogarthian Gear Configuration is constantly changing:

Named for it's founding father, William Hogarth Main, the Hogarthian style is constantly being improved and refined. Bill Main himself, despite nearly 25 years of cave diving, is invariably showing up at local dive sites with modifications and much can be learned from his dedication.

This quote seems to provide a "feel" for the spirit of freedom to experiment, in this forum.

I'm just curious. Does anyone agree or disagree with my impressions?

I look forward to reading this forum regularly to see "why" people do what they do.

Thanks for creating it!

Christian

Great idea. I hope this forum really catches on. Do you feel the freedom?
Nice to see a forum, that will tolerate and even welcome new ideas, along with the discussions of past and current configurations and methods.

Awesome stuff. Great to see a forum dedicated to Hogarthian divers.

Thanks Mods

Gilless:
Sorry for being so late with this post:Þ)

Well Done Christian!

One of the best posts I have seen, the quotes and reference are perfect!

Cheers
Thanks Gilless!

I've spent less time in this forum than I had originally anticipated in September, so I'm not sure where the forum has wound up with regard to its focus. I'll have to spend a bit more time reading the threads in here to see what the forum has evolved into over the last 9 months.

Christian

headhunter:
I'll have to spend a bit more time reading the threads in here to see what the forum has evolved into over the last 9 months.

Christian

Speaking as one of the originators of the forum, I'm quite pleased with how it's gone. There have been some rough spots and it's not used as much as it was at the beginning, but, it does provide quite a bit of value.

The original intent was to have someplace to discuss evolving configurations that do not follow any particular school, but are based on the Hogarthian principle of minimalism. I think we have achieved that quite nicely.

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom