Conical shaped 1st stage filter - Atomic Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got my B2's back from being serviced by Atomic.

The first thing I noticed was the filter in the 1st stage has a deep conical shape.

Atomic says the conical shape provides more surface area than a flat one, which means a higher volume of air can pass through. They said they started using the conical shaped filter about 5 months ago.

I'd never seen a filter shaped like that and thought I mention it.

I think all Scubapro regs use a conical filter.
Actully I dont think I have seen any diffrent (I havent seen all that many diffrent regs).

Older SP regs used a flat filter. I have one older Mk5 (lighter "3000" yoke with 7/16" yoke nut) that uses a flat filter. The yoke nut will not accept the modern conical filter.

Atomic went with the conical filter when they combined their four different first stage service kits into one kit. The DIN version has always had that conical filter, and it fits into the yoke, so they went with that. The larger filter area was just an extra added benefit. It's fine; don't worry about it.

With the new kits, if you have an older Atomic first stage that does not have the "Jet Seat" piston and HP seat, you'll either have to buy a non-"jet seat" seat every time you service the reg or buy one time a new "jet seat" piston so you can use the new kits. Atomic has quit making the non-jet seat service kits. Other than the pistons and seats, the two first stages are identical internally, and they probably work equally well.

The "jet seat" system was designed to make the piston seating edge less prone to damage when it's out of the regulator by rounding the sealing edge. That resulted in a differently-shaped seat. The two are not compatible and should not be mixed.

tfsails
Just a quick correction on Atomic Filters. First - Atomic now has 2 conical filters. One conical filter fits the yoke and one fits the DIN. They are not interchangeable! Both filters are included in their repair kit. BTY - the new conical filter was introduced for better EAN compatibility. Conical filters are much better at filtering and improve air flow.

Tech--
I stand corrected. I've done exactly one reg with the new kit and honestly didn't remember it having both filters. Hell--I've still got five or six of the old non-jet seat yoke and several of the jet seat DIN kits in my shop. I finally used up all of my jet seat yoke kits, hence the new kits.

Speaking of filters, you ever seen the white textile filter on older Apeks/Zeagle yoke kits? Now THAT takes a leap of faith to use, but it works.

Back
Top Bottom