Connecting the reg to tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a very basic question. Fairly new diver. During my last dive I rented equipment. When I cracked the valve on board the boat, I'd purged my regs to check. After doing the octo, i let things be and i could hear air hissing from it. I pointed out to the worker and she said it was fine. My buddy said it will stop under water.

Is that true? I just want to get the real answer because i feel like it shouldnt be hearing avery haint hissing coming from the octo at all.

This was in cozumel.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a very basic question. Fairly new diver. During my last dive I rented equipment. When I cracked the valve on board the boat, I'd purged my regs to check. After doing the octo, i let things be and i could hear air hissing from it. I pointed out to the worker and she said it was fine. My buddy said it will stop under water.

Is that true? I just want to get the real answer because i feel like it shouldnt be hearing avery haint hissing coming from the octo at all.

This was in cozumel.

Thanks

Perhaps. Welcome to rental gear. I've seen this before and yes the slow hissing did stop as I breathed the air down in the tank. Here is they way I see it - renting means paying. Payment is given to rent a properly functioning piece of gear. Demand another one or dive with the hiss.

The intermediate pressure (IP) is a bit high, some regs creep up over time, or the second stage cracking effort needs adjusting. Most likely, the reg may need servicing. In my traveling experience rental regs are not serviced often enough. Many dive operators do not have a service technician which means regs simply don't get serviced when they should be.

If it's hissing on the surface it's not fine. It needs something done to it. You don't dive with it as a new diver.

Both answers are correct, service/adjustment or IP from 1st stage too high.
The correct answer from the operator should have been "sorry, let me change the regulator for you".
Yes, it will probably stop underwater but it should not be happening and certainly not to a guest on a rental reg.
This sometimes happens to mine as they do a lot of dives.
If ip is correct I just adjust the valve seat.

Hi,

This was in cozumel.

Thanks

Sometimes a hissing reg will stop underwater and sometimes it won't. As others have said, it's a sign of a reg needing adjustment or servicing, and the proper thing would have been for the divemaster to exchange it for a different reg, assuming he or she couldn't adjust it satisfactorily on the spot. This sort of indifference by dive ops sometimes happens in other circumstances, too. For example, it's common for rental tanks to have worn o-rings that result in fine bubbles leaking throughout a dive. It may be "fine" from the divemaster's point of view in the sense that it probably won't drain your tank noticeably, but it's not "fine" because, if nothing else, it is the kind of thing that can be unsettling to new divers, not to mention the potential for the o-ring to blow out completely. Paying too much attention to a minor annoyance has been known to distract even experienced divers from noticing something more important. For at least this reason, one should ensure that gear is adjusted properly and appears to work properly at the beginning of every dive. A diver's confidence in his gear being okay may be almost as important as the gear actually being okay.

With a couple basic tools, that adjustment can be done in a few minutes on the spot. Most divers who have save-a dive kits have all you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom