Connectors for 9.5aH pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm upgrading my canister from a 4aH SLA to a 9.5aH NiMH battery pack, but it seems most trailer plugs in my area are only rated to 8 amps. Is there a higher grade of trailer plug that is available online, or is there a different connector I should switch to? Thanks.

Increasing the capacity/size of the battery pack, does not nessessarily mean you need a bigger/heavier cable harness.

Upgrading you battery pack to 9.5 Ah means it will run twice a long on the same current draw or twice (approx) the current for the same time. Are you changing your lamp (bulb wattage) also? That may require a heavier cable connector rating.

If you are planning on runing a higher wattage bulb (lamp)
Simply divide the wattage of bulb by the voltage, and that will give you the current (amp) rating you need.

A trailer plug rated at 8 amps assumes a 12volt supply (automotive). 8 x 12 =96 watts. So unless you planning on using a lamp over 96 watts rating at 12 volts, the 8 amp rating is just fine. Incandescent lamps (halogen) do have a high start current, but this is very short duration (seconds) and will not be a problem underwater. (cooling).

Mike D

CRDiver:
I'm upgrading my canister from a 4aH SLA to a 9.5aH NiMH battery pack, but it seems most trailer plugs in my area are only rated to 8 amps. Is there a higher grade of trailer plug that is available online, or is there a different connector I should switch to? Thanks.

CRDiver:

MDolson's correct on the wire size analysis. Check out the trolling motor section of your local sporting goods shop for heavy duty "trailer" type connectors. They sometimes will be in with the accessories.

WD

mddolson:
Increasing the capacity/size of the battery pack, does not nessessarily mean you need a bigger/heavier cable harness.

Upgrading you battery pack to 9.5 Ah means it will run twice a long on the same current draw or twice (approx) the current for the same time. Are you changing your lamp (bulb wattage) also? That may require a heavier cable connector rating.

If you are planning on runing a higher wattage bulb (lamp)
Simply divide the wattage of bulb by the voltage, and that will give you the current (amp) rating you need.

A trailer plug rated at 8 amps assumes a 12volt supply (automotive). 8 x 12 =96 watts. So unless you planning on using a lamp over 96 watts rating at 12 volts, the 8 amp rating is just fine. Incandescent lamps (halogen) do have a high start current, but this is very short duration (seconds) and will not be a problem underwater. (cooling).

Mike D

I'm going to be running a 35W halogen bulb for now, the same it came with. I also have a couple 50W I'll be trying too. It's an old AUL Meteor 4, which was designed to use 20W, 35W or 50W bulbs.

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like I should be OK.

CRDiver:
I'm going to be running a 35W halogen bulb for now, the same it came with. I also have a couple 50W I'll be trying too. It's an old AUL Meteor 4, which was designed to use 20W, 35W or 50W bulbs.

Thanks for the responses! Sounds like I should be OK.

Yes, I see no problems.

Mike D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom