conshelf Questions lots of them??? military???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well as of now all i have is:

U.S. Divers 180* nose purge mask w/neo pad strap
U.S. Divers 100% sumergable snorkle (Bomber type)
Scuba Pro Jet Fins
scuba Neo boots
Scuba toys Mesh gear bag

and thats it lol...

but i have been looking at a bunch of usd regs and even tanks
is the US Divers 80cu 3000 psi aluminum used tanks worth picking up??? for starters?
how hard is it to get it inspected and servicible if one hasnt been used in a long time???

and is a Conshelf XIV and or the Conshelf XXI an "ok" reg to pick up and build on.. if i want to get into "tech diving" will these regs work for getting into intro "tech" stuff???

i looked at some of the info on here and seems like the Conshelf XIV is the model to go with for budget price and it seems to be the model alot of others base there modern regs on Right?? seems to be pretty easy to work with...

"remember" just a construction worker here that really tries to improvise and get the best value for my buck... "im not cheap" for say.. but i dont mind useing older gear as long as its still servicible for todays aplications... and espeacily if its a "work horse" like i have read it to be called???

i know a lot of people take a lot of pride in there gear and get the best gear posible... i know alot of people look at diving as an exquisite / luxurious sport and buy the up most pricy and or expiensive equiptment that thier salery's can get them.. believe me thats not me..
i just want to dive..! and do as much as i can with what i can afford and dont really care if i get funny looks for useing outdated or old used gear if it works and will keep me diving and its affordable than thats for me..!
but if at all possible, a military style "tactical" rig, old or not would really be my luxury gear.. ;-)

The Conshelf XIV is a great regulator and IMHO it is probably one of the most reliable regulators ever made.

I have often found 20 and 30 year Conshelf that have never been serviced and they still work fine.

If properly adjusted there performance can be excellent. If you buy a used one, you should have it serviced (or eventually, learn how to service it).

The Conshelf 1st stages are dependable, rugged, simple to work on and very common.
My pick of the bunch would be the 21 or the 22 as these have 4 3/8" LP ports, the other models either have 3 or less, or have a 1/2" LP port as I think it is an advantage to have standard size hook-ups.
If you don't need the extra port or don't mind the 1/2" port then go for the 14, SE2, SE3....avoid the SE as all the LP ports are 1/2".
Lower numbers than the 14 will not have enough LP ports to support a second 2nd stage and an inflator hose.....yes, you can get multiport adaptors but since you haven't bought one yet, why bother.
As for the 2nd stage, obviously, the metal one is the one to get!!!
Again, given the choice get one of the later (early 70's and later) ones that doesn't have the small diameter (screw on) exhaust tee that tends to collapse with age and become a little restrictive.

As for the USD AL80 tank if it has the old "meat and two veg" logo and professional written on the tank you'll find that it will be be made before 1989 and you may well have problems getting a fill......stay away.

Last edited:
well as of now all i have is:

U.S. Divers 180* nose purge mask w/neo pad strap
U.S. Divers 100% sumergable snorkle (Bomber type)
Scuba Pro Jet Fins
scuba Neo boots
Scuba toys Mesh gear bag

and thats it lol...

but i have been looking at a bunch of usd regs and even tanks
is the US Divers 80cu 3000 psi aluminum used tanks worth picking up??? for starters?
how hard is it to get it inspected and servicible if one hasnt been used in a long time???

and is a Conshelf XIV and or the Conshelf XXI an "ok" reg to pick up and build on.. if i want to get into "tech diving" will these regs work for getting into intro "tech" stuff???

i looked at some of the info on here and seems like the Conshelf XIV is the model to go with for budget price and it seems to be the model alot of others base there modern regs on Right?? seems to be pretty easy to work with...

"remember" just a construction worker here that really tries to improvise and get the best value for my buck... "im not cheap" for say.. but i dont mind useing older gear as long as its still servicible for todays aplications... and espeacily if its a "work horse" like i have read it to be called???

i know a lot of people take a lot of pride in there gear and get the best gear posible... i know alot of people look at diving as an exquisite / luxurious sport and buy the up most pricy and or expiensive equiptment that thier salery's can get them.. believe me thats not me..
i just want to dive..! and do as much as i can with what i can afford and dont really care if i get funny looks for useing outdated or old used gear if it works and will keep me diving and its affordable than thats for me..!
but if at all possible, a military style "tactical" rig, old or not would really be my luxury gear.. ;-)

Conshelf--good

old tank--bad

Get a new tank and put the old decals on it, decals are all over ebay and vintage websites. I had a guy in Flaridumb tell me he could not fill my tank, against store policy. I asked why, he said it was too old. I looked at him and then pointed out the tank was a brand new steel Faber LP, a vintage decal does not an old tank make.

Join us at www.vintagescubasupply.com forum

N

CONTRARIAN ALERT. FIRST let me state I own several 'vintage' pieces of gear (I love Sea Hunt and 'Mike Nelson' ) having said that (and I'm sure there will be many 'bombs' thrown my way after this statement), the newer gear is better, period! Thats not to say that the older stuff wont work, its just that technology has gotten better. Why pay almost the same amount of dough for 'old' stuff when you can pick brand new gear at near the same cost? Can't wait to hear from the old..." well back in my day...and "they dont make them like that anymore' crowd.! Nonsense. Today's gear IS better, that's why there are so many design improvements form the USD Conshelf series. OK, 'bombs' away. Let's hear it!

CONTRARIAN ALERT. FIRST let me state I own several 'vintage' pieces of gear (I love Sea Hunt and 'Mike Nelson' ) having said that (and I'm sure there will be many 'bombs' thrown my way after this statement), the newer gear is better, period! Thats not to say that the older stuff wont work, its just that technology has gotten better. Why pay almost the same amount of dough for 'old' stuff when you can pick brand new gear at near the same cost? Can't wait to hear from the old..." well back in my day...and "they dont make them like that anymore' crowd.! Nonsense. Today's gear IS better, that's why there are so many design improvements form the USD Conshelf series. OK, 'bombs' away. Let's hear it!

When it comes to the Conshelf first stage there have not been any real improvements. Most Aqua Lung regulators are still and will continue to use the exact same parts. The only changes have been basically cosmetic housing changes and a bit of hose routing improvements. They are mechanically exactly the same as a 1965 Royal Aqua Master.

Since the introduction of the balanced adjustable second stage (by Scubapro) there have also not been any real mechanical changes improvements on second stage designs.

If you look inside most regulators they work the same they did 30 years ago with the major change being the use of less expensive plastics in the second stage housing. The major disadvantage of the use of plastic is the need for extra O-rings to put all the parts together.

For the most part, the only material changes I have seen are for cost saving and easier fabrication (again another cost saving).

Most “modern” regulators are very good because they have decades of experience behind them, since they are not changing very much. Most of the changes are only for advertising purpose and some for cost savings. If you really believe there has been a significant mechanical improvement, you are just proving the power of advertisement.

BTW, you may conceder me an old timer since I have been servicing regulators since 1971, but I still service some of the most “modern designs” and they are OK, but are basically the same. I am not only certified to service several of the newest regulators I also have a couple engineering degrees and have redesigned some regulators.

I am not sure what is the point of your post, but I can only assume that you are an un-informed troll.

Well I do agree with much of what you said except the troll part and the misinformed part. That is what is inherently wrong with this board. God forbid someone has a different view and he's labeled a troll!! I stand by my statement. Advertsing aside. Of couse the basic design of regulators have changed ad well as the kinds of materials to make them. So enough of the troll business "father time". Keep telling youself that the model t you have in your garage us every bit as good as those new fangeled motor cars. Please. Time marches on and so does better scuba gear. Proud to be a troll!

G22, The conshelf is a good reg. Like you, I am former military and when I was shopping around for my first reg I ended up with a US divers becasue of 2 things-cousteau (it's his company) and the fact thet the guy selling it was a retired SEAL who pointed out that this was the equipment he was authorized. Was that the best way to buy a reg-maybe, maybe not. In the years following I know more now about what to look for, what I like and what to ask but I still use aqua lung and I don't regret it.

Some of us will beg to differ in that much of the newer stuff is in fact inferior and made to a price point with a lot of cheap parts made from plastic to hold to that price point and desired profit margin. Call it composite, I call it plastic and in most cases stainless steel and naval brass are better material with much greater durability. As well, many older regulators aside from the better materials they are made from were made with high reliability and reduced parts count in mind. The first stage of the Conshelf as Master Luis says is a basic and extremely reliable unit with little improvement over the years. Jet Fins are another example, around since 1962, they are still the "tech" fin and choice of many if not most serious divers. Snorkels, the stuff they make now belongs in a swimming pool, a good J tube SP Shotgun is the better unit. Newer may not always be better unless reducing your pocket book is the goal.

N

Well I do agree with much of what you said except the troll part and the misinformed part. That is what is inherently wrong with this board. God forbid someone has a different view and he's labeled a troll!! I stand by my statement. Advertsing aside. Of couse the basic design of regulators have changed ad well as the kinds of materials to make them. So enough of the troll business "father time". Keep telling youself that the model t you have in your garage us every bit as good as those new fangeled motor cars. Please. Time marches on and so does better scuba gear. Proud to be a troll!

I personally dislike getting drag down to a pointless debate and I am very sorry about referring to you as a troll, but your previous post was more of a challenge without much substance.

Many people have different opinions and I personally respect the opinion of most, but especially if it based in some facts.

The facts are that from 1943 to the 70’s there were a lot of changes (in some regulator models, not all). From the 80’s to the present most regulators work on the same mechanical parts. Most regulators first stages are still made of the same exact brass and stainless steel alloys used over 40 years ago. The introduction of plastics on the second stage was and continues to be a cost saving improvement.

Note: Changes and improvements are not the same thing, sometimes they can be, but many times they are not.

Back
Top Bottom