conshelf Questions lots of them??? military???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i sure am glad i have you Guro's to guid me... the whole pupose of me wanting the older milspec stuf is just that its Mil Spec... and i'm looking to try and get it cheap... and like some one on here said "makes you feel more at home" hit right on the money. cant help it thats just how i am... if i buy a pair of work boots i'm looking for gi issue, my camping gear all milspec / surplus stuff... i love REI for what its worth but when i look at all ther fancy pancy real expensive civilian camping out soors stuff i just shake my head and chuckle and then go to army navy surplus and by milspec that in my own opinion is WAY BETTER MADE for fraction of the cost... sorry folks but when you lug something around for 8 yrs it kinda grows on you.. if it aint OD GREEN, Flat Black, or Desert... then it aint getting bought by me.. ( to a certain degree anyhow) lol...

If you need to buy things cheap because of budget constraints, then by all means. Not all of us are Bill Gate and Oprah Winfrey.

However, when I left the US Army seventeen years ago after eight years of active duty service, I swore to myself that I will never again buy equipment that is made by the cheapest bidder, designed by some bureaucratic committee that had zero operational experiences.

Yeah, I got a storage shed full of TA-50 gears, but when it's time to haul that heavy ruck to the boondocks nowadays, it's Mountainsmith rucksack instead of the Alice OD Green ruck. I'd rather carry my 3-lbs sleeping bag that's good down to -40F than the 8-lbs GI sleeping bag that's good down to 20F. My work boots (I'm in heavy industrial construction) are Red Wings and not GI combat boots.

And as you can see from my avatar, no more matt black, OD, tan, desert camo anything. I ain't huntin' Charlie any more.

Promocop,

I was expecting to hear about 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Batt of the 75th Ranger, but you're old school.:cool2:

CoF,75th Rangers, 25thINF Div CuChi,RVN. 67-69

Duely noted. Thanks for your service, and good to see you made it out of country.

Simper Fi

Most people are supporting your choice of reg not because it is milspec but because the Conshelf will give you the best bang for the buck.[unquote]

Exactly, as stated several times above, the common internal parts (the items that are part of the maintenance replacement process) are near identical to the parts found in the original USD Royal AquaMaster Double Hose HP 1st stage as well as the IP parts save for the spring, adjusting screw and large nut........USD apparently hit it right in the late sixties and were smart enough to build on this. Therefore, you can use the current internal goodies on any Conshelf xiv and up and maybe on the earlier conshelf models.

And if you have a full set of choppers in your mouth, IE, no false teeth or caps, posts etc, then you will be ok with the metal second stage units........

Semper Fi.........7th Marines Regt, HQ co. 1st Marine Div. Viet Nam, 4th Marine Regt, HQ co, 3rd Marine Div. Okinawa; 3rd Marine Airwing, El Toro, Calif; 11th Marines , 4th Marine Div. Dallas, Texas.

PS: hummmmmm force fins?.......can't handle Jets or Duckfeet huh? The boys in Marine Force Recon always told me the Rangers were candy asses hahahahhaha.....just a joke, I know the rangers are bad asses.....Semper Fi trooper........

LOL. Got to tell. Ya. Bagged those forcefins forever. Then those FF guys sent me a pair to try because of my past Ranger experience (20 years old and dint know any better) anyway after a dozen dives...hooked. Best ever. The 30-30-30 they have now us fantastic deal. Try em you'll love them. Got TYD'd with some some of your boys and the Navy doing some spec ops on a PBR down south near Tay Ninh. You?

Was at a place called LZ baldy.....just at the foot hills of the Que Son Mountains.......spent most of my time there in the COC but traveled about some.......An Hue.......LZ Dagger....and some lousy hill deep in the Que Son's .......learned to hate mountains and thick forests (jungles).....gave me a greater love for the open rolling prairies of Texas.........still found a facination for mountains.....love the Andes of Peru.......at least there no one is trying to kill you.........except the rock slides......hahaha

Sorry, never went that far north. Sucked up some dirt on Nui Ba Din though!

Fishpie,

i wont get cuaght up in the idea that they have to be milspec... believe me i have a "Plan B" and that is actually trying to pick up a reg thats on clearance at scuba toys... its called the Aeris A1 Regulator here is the ad for it: Aeris A1 Regulator reviews and discounts, Aeris

at about $170.00 i thought that would be a good inexpensive "Plan B" but for me to try and buy all the kids on the team that reg and still have to try and pick up all the other required gear.. well lets just say that would probably take me for ever to do... considering i try and buy at least 1 peace of gear every payday...

but i was kinda lucky or at least i think soo i won this on ebay just today at 50 bucks i hope it does me good... its a Conshelf XXI first stage with a Scuba pro second stage...

i also picked up another reg for 10 and 10for shiping so for 20 bucks i got this on two... dont know what kind of reg this is... and i might just have to use this for a spare air little bottle or something like that... if i can get it serviced...
well i was going to try and put up an ebay link so ya'll could see them but didnt work.
anyways:
good lord willing, i will try and aquire more gear as best i can...

Oooooh Rah..! Semper Fi..!

Oldmossback,
"Semper Fi.........7th Marines Regt, HQ co. 1st Marine Div. Viet Nam, 4th Marine Regt, HQ co, 3rd Marine Div. Okinawa; 3rd Marine Airwing, El Toro, Calif; 11th Marines , 4th Marine Div. Dallas, Texas. "
I actually live like 5 minutes from the " 4th Marine Div. Dallas Tx " just on the north east side other side of the lake..! i could probably drive to the unit in five minutes... but i dont know if its still active i think they may have closed dow and moved not sure...
grew up in Oak Cliff all my life and "for now" i acutally moved back home into a small apt close to my parents house near mountin View Colledge... been living back in the old niebhorhood for about 2 1/2 yrs now..

still havent built that house yet.. lol...
very familiar with the 4th Marine Reg. but never served in that unit all though they were always with use when we mobolized or very close to us anyhow..

fnfalman :
"If you need to buy things cheap because of budget constraints, then by all means. Not all of us are Bill Gate and Oprah Winfrey.

However, when I left the US Army seventeen years ago after eight years of active duty service, I swore to myself that I will never again buy equipment that is made by the cheapest bidder, designed by some bureaucratic committee that had zero operational experiences.

Yeah, I got a storage shed full of TA-50 gears, but when it's time to haul that heavy ruck to the boondocks nowadays, it's Mountainsmith rucksack instead of the Alice OD Green ruck. I'd rather carry my 3-lbs sleeping bag that's good down to -40F than the 8-lbs GI sleeping bag that's good down to 20F. My work boots (I'm in heavy industrial construction) are Red Wings and not GI combat boots.

And as you can see from my avatar, no more matt black, OD, tan, desert camo anything. I ain't huntin' Charlie any more."
ok you got me...lol.. my work boots are walverines.. lol... but as for wieght vrs price... i still hump the heaver ruged stuff and as for my sleeping roll i use the newier Gi bag that breaks into three rolls and very light and can seperatedd for differant temps... but as for the gear i buy for the youth group they dont expensive mountin man john or smith or expensive civilion gear they get mil surplus and we improvise the best we can...

and there are some things that i wouldnt trade for civilion gear even if i were a millionare.. but thats just my pref...
i also said i wouldnt wear od green and when i was in and off duty i never were od green or tan at all not even civi's... but when i do outdoors stuff i have to admitt i still revert to gi issue unless i just see something that is way better and cost effective...

but thats just me... ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom