conshelf Questions lots of them??? military???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishpie,

i also picked up another reg for 10 and 10for shiping so for 20 bucks i got this on two... dont know what kind of reg this is... and i might just have to use this for a spare air little bottle or something like that... if i can get it serviced...
well i was going to try and put up an ebay link so ya'll could see them but didnt work.
anyways:
good lord willing, i will try and aquire more gear as best i can...

Post couple of photos of it, most likely we can fill you in on what you have. Most of the $10 regs (and I have a bunch of them) are old obsolete regs that parts and service are not available for unless you are willing/able to do the work yourself and get creative with the parts.....not something I would suggest for the new diver.

Gonzo...sorry for snooping into your eBay activity.
You got some fine regs in the Conshelf 21 and Scubapro 109....it looks a bit rough but I think it has had the (difficult to find) rubber parts replaced, which is a huge plus.
The other one is a USD Calypso piston 1st stage and the older type 2nd stage with the bolt on exhaust T ..... not such a deal, as that 1st stage is no longer supported by AquaLung and parts are hard to come by.

fishpie,
do you think i should just disregard the conshelf and just hang it up as an ornament or something?? lol... or do you think i could use it as a spare air rig.. or something, jsut to get my 20 bucks worth or should i just disregard it totally??

and as for the conshelf/scuba pro.. i'm really glad i was able to get that one and the person stated taht it was serviced to be able to sell it as a servaced reg...
soo i'm glad i was able to get that one now i got to get a guage or computer for it and i will probably use that one when i certify if i can get it in time and up and running.. :)

i'm going to be trying to pick up deals like that untill i have enough equiptment for the whole team, i'm in no real big hurry, in fact i only need gear for three right now, and buy the time i get these through the taining and all that, then i should have a few months to pick up gear for the rest of the team, as for i probably wont be paying for any more certifications untill next spring... becuase we also do other sports with the kids we will probably be moving on to other stuff during late fall and through the winter... soo it will give me time to stock up ;-)

Stick the Calypso back on Ebay and recoup some (hopefuly a profit) of your losses. While it can be serviced, you have to use aftermarket parts and do the work yourself, no shop is likely to touch it. Pretty much any Conshelf is good as are the Scubapro MK-5 with a 109 second

Gonzo.
I think you need to slow down with the eBay stuff. To try and get 6 sets of regs and BC's with your very limited experience will get you burnt. You've got a 50% record so far and you still need another 2nd stage, gauges and BC.
In order to come out on top with that much kit you really need to know exactly what you are buying and then be able to service what you buy.
You've been getting advise from some of the most knowledgeable gear techs in the world (I kid you not) with a combined experience of a good 100 years.
My suggestion is to get your cert, do some diving and if you still need to acquire a whole heap of kit on a small budget buy the 2 DIY books everybody recommends and learn how to service what you buy.
I admire your enthusiasm but you are putting the cart before the horse.

There is really cool vintage gear, and some awesome classic stuff like the Conshelf and a whole lot of total junk out there. You need to have a little under your belt before proceeding with purchasing dive gear that is older than you are. It would be very easy to sink money into stuff that may be cool but may also be totally non functional. A good clean Conshelf or Scuba Pro 109 would be a good investment but we all know the same things and when they show up, the guys go after them, on eBay or wherever. N

fishpie,

i think you are absosulty right... i have been getting caught up in wanting to buy gear and have lost a little focus in what is really important and that is "getting in the water..! " i have gone a little stray from my objective and thank you for the great advise... i have been a little lucky and i have come across a guy here locally this going to give me a good deal on his gear
he is not diving and hasnt done any diving in a few years and is going to sell me what he has and he also told me that even though he wasnt diving he would still get his stuff serviced every yr becuase he had intendid to dive that summer but summer after summer he never had the time to go but he wanted his gear serviced and ready just incase...

this is what he will be selling me at $400.00 us
tell me if its a good deal and if i should jump on it..?

- us divors conshelf XXI 1st, 2nd and octo service with new inside and o-rings last yr at a local dive shop that i know of... has reciept of work done and has not used since the service job
that rig comes with us divors guages
- also has another second stage that he will through in its a Scuba Pro 2nd (which i plan on puttin onthe other "coshelf XXI/scuba pro" i won on ebay)
- also has a us divers dive computer (proabably going on the XXI/Scuba pro rig as well)
- us divers bc
- mask / snorkle with bag
- regulator bag
- reflex fins
- and gear bag
- us divers 80 alum. tank 3000psi hydro'd 08

he said he really would want this gear going to some one that would be useing it and says it is all in really good condition..
havint seen it yet but supposed to go leave him a down payment on it later today and he will let me pay it out in 2 pay,

i thnk after i buy this i should be ok for a while right????
is this a good deal???
i figure after this i will have gotten a good start on geting gear for 2 set up... i was able to pick up a bc over a month ago at thrift store in a med size and that one is already issued to one of the boys...

Gonzo.
Some things to look out for.
1 If the computer is a Monitor (rectangular brick shape), batteries are an issue and pretty much can't be replaced any more. Actually it's the sealing compound used to bed them and not the battery itself, but it has little value today.
2 Check the BC very carefully for leaks and the condition of any plastic that attach the body harness to the bladder....this rots and becomes brittle with age. Hook up the inflator and make certain that it doesn't self inflate. If it is a double bladder BC don't buy it.....it will leak, if not now then it will soon.
3 Look at the tank for the original Hydro date....if it is older than 1990 don't buy it.

Here's a rough price guide for kit in good condition that doesn't have any of the above issues.

Conshelf 21 with octo and gauges....$150 max

BC .... if it's the same vintage as the Conshelf .... $40 max (a bit more if it's newer)

Computer is really difficult to judge without knowing the model.....but assuming it is a hockey puck style with user replaceable batteries....$50 max

AL 80 built after 1990 with 4 years hydro ... $80 max

......and then $20 for the bag, mask and fins.

I am being very generous (to the seller) with these estimates.

Last edited:
yea that puts me at about 340 but also getting a scuba pro 2nd stage but that cant be worth more than 20-30 either and thats if everything is in perfect working order... i tried to talk him down to 350.00 he wanted 500.00 and we agreed at 400.00..!
i havent put the money down yet when i called earlier he said would be better if i met up with him tomorrow...
thanks for the help... fishpie, i really appreciate that about the battery issue for the us divers computer... i would have thought it would be worth alot more.. and would not have known to ask about the battery,
im going to really ponder if i should get the gear now.. oh well i'm still going to go look at it and see if the computer is going to be worth grabbing...

here is a question... if i'm thinking taht a good servicable conshielf XXI is worth 150 bucks then and the other new reg that i mentioned befor is on clearance for 170.00 then how much better would new reg for 20.00 be camparied to the conshelf or is the consheilf even it being older model still a better reg??? ( more depandable / rugged / longer lasting better, flow or better performance ??? ) or is the new cheapy better than the classic work horse???
at 20 dollar differance what is the "differance" ????
or is the price of the conshelf becuase of the 1st 2nd and octo with guages worth the 150 and to get the new cheapy up with 1st, 2nd, octo, and guages going to be alot more??
hmmm ???? i know im asking alot of uestions and i apologize just trying to learn..?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom