conshelf xiv vs supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefvagabond

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started a thread in the regulators forum about a bulletproof reg and one vintage reg that came up a few times was the conshelf. I'm new to diving and I have the opportunity to get a new conshelf xiv as my first reg, but I'm wondering what the difference is between it and a supreme.

I dive in salt water with temps from 44-56 F. Will a regular conshelf xiv be a problem in "cold water"? Will I have to worry about freeflows?

A regular conshelf xiv is not environmentally sealed right? If I wish to do so could I just get a Aqualung Titan environmental seal kit? Would that basically turn it into a supreme?

Last question.... how does this thing breath in all positions (upsidedown, etc), at recreational depths, etc?

The supreme has silicone oil filled environmental cap on it. I have bought several used supreme and in all cases got rid of the oil filled cap and ended up replacing them with the Titan dry environmental kit. It is just cleaner and easier to deal with.

Even without the environmental kit the Conshelf is a great regulator. It should do fine at those temperatures, but the dry environmental kit will definitely add an extra barrier from contamination and the possibility of ice forming around the spring.

I saw that other thread and the Conshelf was by far the regulator that comes to mind when I think of long time reliability. The Scubapro MK-2 or Mk-5 would be my next choices, but the Conshelf would be best for cold water.

How it breaths is highly dependent of how well it is tuned.

Another good thing about the Conshelf is that you can eventually join the do it yourself (DIY) crowd and service it yourself easily. After market parts are available from VDH and possibly other sources. Parts can be obtain anywhere in the world since it uses all the same seats as most Aqua Lung regulators (they have been using the same style first stage and second stage seats for 46 years).

I would also add that 1st stage freezing is not the main cause of cold water free flow, it is 2nd stage freezing. Many/most of the causes of 2nd stage freeze is from divers checking the reg on the surface in sub-freezing temps. This causes the water in your breath to freeze on the 2nd stage mechanism and either cause it to free flow immediately or very soon after going in the water. Use of a metal 2nd stage as is found in the Conshelf series up through the XIV, the early Poseidon Cyclon, or the SCUBAPRO 108/109 2nd stages helps to keep this from occurring as the metal transfers above freezing water temp to the internals of the 2nd stage better.

You should also never test the 2nd stage in sub zero temps - say if the air temp in in the 20's in January right before a dive.

The only downside to the 14 1st stage is if you will be diving a drysuit as it has 3 LP ports.
This can be overcome with a "splitter".
For my money the perfect Conshelf 1st stage is the 21 or 22......4 3/8th LP ports (no 1/2").

Where can you get a Titan dry environmental kit?

An LDS that services Aqua-Lung should be able to get one.

Back
Top Bottom