considering s100 or s95

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudbuster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I did some search on this forum and this is what I got:

S100
not good with fish eyes. (not much info if zooming in, still give you good pictures)
and of course the new model
S95
Better suited for fish eyes.

price seem to be around the same for both cameras I was hoping for a saving on the s95 over the s100 - so here it seem to be a draw

I read about housing the Ikelite, Fix, Recsea. I dint take notes now im kind of confuse.
Would I be able to put a fish eye on the Ikelite? I guess I could save hundreds if I go this route.
what is the most common setup for fish eye and ikelite with everything ready to use.(part number or links would be helpful)

I will research about strobes later for now I will use a torch with a diffuser.

I just want to capture the moment to share with family friends. nothing professional.
Thanks!

from looking at buddies' photos, it seems the 95 does better in macro when not using a wet lens...maybe it's just me. that being said, i really like the S100....have the canon housing with inon mount base and UCL165LD and it does the trick. i ordered an ikelite housing for a better sense of comfort on deeper dives (where i'm looking for big sea fans and wrecks here). i don't think you will be disappointed with either one.

I'd be tempted to wait until the S95 gets cheaper, but if you can't get the S95.
I don't see anything that makes the S100 better.

I own S95 with Patima housing, no strobes yet.
Some amateurish photos on my facebook: Laamu Dive and Surf | Facebook

Ikelite housing have 67 mm thread the only wide lens that gets you there is an inon UWL100 28M67 With a dome for 145 degrees you are talking about 900-1000$
A fisheye uwl28m52 would need stepping rings and I would try that in the shop first as the increased distance not only would give more vignette but also soft corners
If you want lens choices go for a fisheye or recsea housing that have better options
Camera wise a 24 mm lens like the S100 will give you less choiches and more vignetting
I have put another post somewhere else with the other differences between S95 and S100

I am new to underwater photography and have finally decide don the S100, but not sure about about the housing, I am considering the canon or the Ikelite, but would appreciate any opines form anyone who has used either housing or other housings.

Thanks all!
Interceptor on your other post you say:

A factor you need to take into account is that the wide lens in water will actually be a disadvantage when it comes to wet lenses as there are none to date that can support a 24mm without vignetting
The S100 would vignette as they are designed for 28mm lens and effectively you will need to step zoom in and that time you will have the same coverage of the S95 so from that point of view no advantages at all
Then that make it hard for me to think on getting the S95 being that is the discontinued model.
And looking at prices they are equal.
So the main question was if you do get the same aspect on pictures just by using the zoom to take care of vignette
And the answer seem to be YES

Cloudbuster it is not a good idea to zoom two steps to eliminate vignette
So if you get a 24mm make sure you get lenses that don't vignette at 28mm
If you get a 28mm you can use lenses designed for 35mm equivalent
It is an interesting thing with the S95 when the S100 was announced the price dropped then it went back right now the S95 should cost at least 25% less than the S100

Either camera will produce good images. Search for my previous posts using the even earlier Canon S90.

I am continually amazed by the number of posts doing nothing but comparing specs with no images to support all this "measurbating".

Any of the Canon S90, S95 and now S100 models will be fine if people PRACTICE on land and learn the limitations of it.

If adding external macro (and WA) lenses you just have to learn how close if zoomed in a bit the camera will then focus to. (Hell, it SHOW you on the screen when you zoom what the minimum and maximum range is!!!!!!)

When people talk about zooming in a tad with a WA external lens to eliminate vignetting you might back up LESS THAN 1' to get the same framing., Many times barely inches......Gimme' a break........

Let's talk real world shooting here and if you want to debate then post photos to show you know what your'e talking about :) I have.........

Also see my Ikelite housing for the Canon S95 in the classified section.

An Ikelite W20 lens plus AF35 system coming soon, too.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom